The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Windy, really windy (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/windy-really-windy-115735/)

Saddlebag 03-08-2012 05:55 PM

Windy, really windy

And I just want to sleep. Does any one else get like that? With the snow it's almost whiteout conditions. Yawn.................yawn.

Northernstar 03-08-2012 06:04 PM

We have (and very recently with almost 3ft of snow!) those conditions quite often here, but I have to say it has the opposite affect on me - we then need to get out the flashlights, fill water jugs, keep cell phone charged for an impending power outage-all this while making trips out to the horse shed making sure there's plenty of hay, water, thick bedding, etc...hard to get to sleep for a while until convinced all is well, then it's sweet dreams :)

franknbeans 03-08-2012 06:12 PM

I totally get it. The wind wakes me up all the time. That wind in the Great lakes area-nothing quite like it. :-)

Wild Heart 03-08-2012 06:33 PM

Oh yeah, I get that a lot. I live in a very windy area and being on a hill doesn't help. My room is situated on the side of my home that takes most of the wind. Also, I have 50+ year old single pane windows that are practically rotting out of the frames. Makes a shrill whistling and shaking sound when it gets a little breezy. :lol:

smrobs 03-08-2012 06:41 PM

Yep, I hate the wind, that is one of the only things I really hate about living on the great plains. We had winds of 50+mph today and it was miserable. We don't have the blowing snow down here, but the blowing sand can be just as bad if you have to be out in it.

So, all I did today was go out long enough to do chores. Other than that, I've been alternating between practicing the guitar and watching movies.

Northernstar 03-08-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Heart (Post 1398393)
Oh yeah, I get that a lot. I live in a very windy area and being on a hill doesn't help. My room is situated on the side of my home that takes most of the wind. Also, I have 50+ year old single pane windows that are practically rotting out of the frames. Makes a shrill whistling and shaking sound when it gets a little breezy. :lol:

Boy, can I relate to that! We also live on top of a hill, (1,313' on google earth), and we're just inland from Lake Michigan-can be brutal at times, I know! Thus, the horse shed is strategically placed facing southeast, and is a nice haven for her during snowstorms. She's lived here her whole life, and it doesn't faze her though :)

FlyGap 03-08-2012 06:55 PM

Horses would not come out of the barn this morning, wind was so bad their eyes were watering! We live on top of a north facing mountain ridge, 2,400 ft. There are shingles all over the yard! Fire danger was uber high yesterday, went out last night to check everything... Smelled like smoke outside!!!! We would be toast out here surrounded by NF. So shingles off, two broken barn doors, and three tin sheets off the horsebarn roof! Argggggg!!!! Did not sleep a wink last night.
Posted via Mobile Device

Northernstar 03-08-2012 07:10 PM

Oh my gosh, FlyGap!! I hope things calm down for you soon! It's amazing how much there is to do after a hefty storm-Thank goodness for a cup of good strong coffee while heading out for a few hours of extra work :)

tlkng1 03-08-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franknbeans (Post 1398371)
I totally get it. The wind wakes me up all the time. That wind in the Great lakes area-nothing quite like it. :-)

I lived through two winters in Sheboygan Wisconsin, right on the lake...I remember those never ending whiteouts...gotta love lake effect snow.

tlkng1 03-08-2012 07:42 PM

We had really warm temps the past couple of days, 68 opn Wedensday and 74 today but the winds were running at 25 with gusts to 40...with the sand from the arenas blowing around I feel like I was getting sandblasted.