The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Animals (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/)
-   -   Vaccinating Puppy Myself (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-animals/vaccinating-puppy-myself-115738/)

Eagle Child 03-08-2012 06:28 PM

Vaccinating Puppy Myself

I have a new golden retriever mix pup. Just priced the immunizations at the vet. Whoa. $43 each for the 3 puppy shots...8 weeks, 12 weeks, 16 weeks.

Has anyone had any problems with do-it-yourself vaccines? I may start doing them for my two grown aussie mix dogs, too. $6.50 at Tractor Supply sure beats $43.

Thanks for any advice or reassurance you can offer. Both the vet and the boarders I use recognize DIY immunizations.

smrobs 03-08-2012 06:36 PM

I raise dogs and have given all my own shots for years. Like you said, it is much cheaper to go for $5-15 at the local co-op or farm supply store than it is to spend ~$50 per pup at the vet.

The most important question you have to answer is whether or not you know how to give a shot properly and if you are comfortable doing it. I was lucky and had a vet that was willing to teach me, even though that meant him losing business.

themacpack 03-08-2012 06:43 PM

As smrobs said, the most important thing is to know what you are doing. We have self-vaccinated our dogs, cats and horses for as long as I can remember.

mudpie 03-08-2012 08:54 PM

Just FYI, you vaccinate puppies sub-q.

Eagle Child 03-08-2012 09:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks, ya'll, for the moral support. Yes, I feel confident I can do it. The folks who gave him to me have parents who breed golden retrievers. The family has been vaccinating their own dogs their whole lives. They showed me how.

Seems bad to say they ended up with an accidental litter, but their 4-year-old let the mother out during her heat cycle and she had a romp in the woods with the neighbor's black lab mix. Oops. Needless to say, mama is now spayed.

Sam will be as soon as he's old enough. He's a sweetie pie. He'll be 8 weeks on Sunday.

Sam the Dog--

mudpie 03-08-2012 09:07 PM

Subcutaneous

xD

smrobs 03-08-2012 09:20 PM

It is not humanly possible to look at those pictures and not say "Aawwwww" :lol:.

Eagle Child 03-08-2012 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know! The whole litter was precious, but he looked up at me like in the second picture, and I was powerless to resist. Next thing I knew, he was in a box in my back seat. :lol: He's now joining the backyardigans club with my 2 pound rescues. What can I say. I'm a pushover.

Now I just need to get him to hold still long enough to get a picture of all three of them together. :)

Horse4Ever 03-13-2012 02:36 AM

Yeah, that is why we always spay and neuter are dogs and cats. The pet overpopulation is to bad.

However, at least these puppies were born to a great family :)

Has anyone seen the video of the girl throwing puppies into a river? It is absolutely evil :evil:

GreySorrel 03-13-2012 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horse4Ever (Post 1404895)
Yeah, that is why we always spay and neuter are dogs and cats. The pet overpopulation is to bad.

However, at least these puppies were born to a great family :)

Has anyone seen the video of the girl throwing puppies into a river? It is absolutely evil :evil:

ACK! Nooo haven't seen that, not sure I want to either.

What a totally adorable puppy! Wow...how can you say no to that face?

I HATE giving shots to my horses, usually have the vet come out, but last month my QH impaled himself on something in the yard, of we would like to think he did it (I have really bad neighbors), so after the vet cleaned it out, flushed it and gave him all the initial antibiotics, banamine, and bute via shot, the next day I had to start giving him two different types of antibiotics x4 a day, x2 in the morning then again at night. Thank goodness I have a very patient horse but by the end of 10 days, I could stick him, do it and go on...