The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Farm Forum (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/)
-   -   Tips and experiences for eliminating groundhogs! (http://www.horseforum.com/farm-forum/tips-experiences-eliminating-groundhogs-115834/)

wguisbert54 03-09-2012 01:10 PM

Tips and experiences for eliminating groundhogs!

I am new to horses. I have a pasture with several groundhog holes. I have tried the "smoke bombs: and refilling with dirt, only to have the holes open up again!

I am not at all opposed to shooting, poisoning,etc....

My biggest concern is after getting rid of them, how to I keep others from moving in?

SueNH 04-01-2012 07:02 AM

Did you cover the other exits when you used the smoke bombs. Usually there are at least 2 exits. If they have been there a while there are more. You have to seal the whole tunnel system for the bombs to work and then they work well.

COWCHICK77 04-01-2012 09:04 AM

I have used this method with success...

MHFoundation Quarters 04-01-2012 09:19 AM

Groundhogs, hate them! They are the reason Woodstock tore his tendon. I shoot them. After they've been eliminated putting coyote urine (or other large predator native to your area) near where they lived will help keep them away to some extent.

I used to trap them...until I got a skunk once instead.

SueNH 04-01-2012 09:25 AM

a .22 does help.

COWCHICK77 04-01-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MHFoundation Quarters (Post 1434084)

I used to trap them...until I got a skunk once instead.

Whoops! LOL! That's when you call the husband outside to deal with it...

MHFoundation Quarters 04-01-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 1434103)
Whoops! LOL! That's when you call the husband outside to deal with it...

Darn right! I wasn't about to. I thought about sniping him out from a 1/4 mile away with the 300 ultra mag but then realized it would still stink after it was dead :lol:

SueNH 04-01-2012 10:11 AM

Tractor supply does have some havaheart traps cheap enough. Probably could bait it with a cabbage. But then you have the problem of what to do with the thing.

Skunks...I have one that lives under the attached barn floor. My lab and he have drawn a truce. Not going to test his temper with my bloodhounds. In theory if you trap one you need to get a tarp or blanket over the trap.He won't spray if he's going to get himself. Saw it done once. Did pan out. I haven't tested it personally.

MHFoundation Quarters 04-01-2012 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SueNH (Post 1434138)
Tractor supply does have some havaheart traps cheap enough. Probably could bait it with a cabbage. But then you have the problem of what to do with the thing.

Skunks...I have one that lives under the attached barn floor. My lab and he have drawn a truce. Not going to test his temper with my bloodhounds. In theory if you trap one you need to get a tarp or blanket over the trap.He won't spray if he's going to get himself. Saw it done once. Did pan out. I haven't tested it personally.

You could always drop them off at someone's house that you don't like I reckon ;)

That's what my hubby did, it worked out okay. Still wasn't trying it myself. Glad your lab has a truce and awwww to the bloodhounds, I want one! Our hunting dogs have both been sprayed and one of the horses. What a pain!

NorthernMama 04-01-2012 12:23 PM

Cowchick, I don't see how a mole trap will catch a groundhog. The size difference is rather dramatic.

A .22 is the best answer, IMO. Then put the carcass in the hole and cover up. Put them deep enough in the hole so a stray dog won't be inclined to dig them up. THen get a groundhog dog, or even any dog that will just harrass them. Jack Russells are great for that, but collies, shepherds, rotties and many medium to large mutts will be effective. The combination of rotting carcasses and a dog was enough of a deterrent when I did this.