The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Shows (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/)
-   -   not trying to be offensive... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-shows/not-trying-offensive-115921/)

princecharming 03-10-2012 02:03 PM

not trying to be offensive...

so, my friend is having a real problem with finding a helmet. shes african american and has her hair semi-relaxed. she has a LOT of hair. and i mean a lOT. so, we cant seem to find a show helmet for a reasonable price that fits her hair into it. its very curly and her head is a tad cone-shaped. So, for anyone who has hair like this, or has ideas that we can use to fit her hair INTO helmet, or even specific helmets that work for this type of head would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

tinyliny 03-10-2012 02:17 PM

My only experience with helmets is that the Troxel brand I found to be best for persons who have a very round head (when viewed from above). And the Tipperary helmet (which I use and LOVE!) seems best for an elongated head, like an oval, such as I have. Would that describe her head shape?

princecharming 03-10-2012 02:19 PM

definitly an oval, but does tipperary have black show helmets? guess i shoudl do some research

tinyliny 03-10-2012 02:31 PM

good question. I don't know. I sure love my Tipp. But, it isn't pretty to look at. So comfy I forget I have it on.

Speed Racer 03-10-2012 03:27 PM

Tipperary are eventing and trail riding helmets. They're not really for showing, because of the way they look.
Posted via Mobile Device

MHFoundation Quarters 03-10-2012 03:31 PM

I have very thick hair, like can barely wrap a rubber band twice around my ponytail thick. When I showed hunt seat I had to pin it all on top of my head tightly, plastered it down with hair spray and put it in a net.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintedShanty 03-10-2012 06:01 PM

What level is she showing right now? In lower level shows it would be perfectly acceptable for her to have a non-velvet helmet that fit well with a velvet helmet cover over the top of it. Around here the covers are around $10, and that would give her time to find an actual velvet helmet that fits.

Joe4d 03-10-2012 06:02 PM

Tell her to get a hair cut.
You want to do X activity it requires Y equipment. In order to wear the equipment you need to change your fashion choices. Let her figure it out you'll drive yourself nuts trying to help someone that doesnt want help and will refuse to listen.
I taught womens self defense around concealed handgun carry and banged my head against this for along time. They wanted to carry, but they absolutely refused to make even the slightest change to wardrobe, so of course everything they tried had a problem.
This is the same thing. Get a hair cut or dont ride.

mildot 03-10-2012 06:03 PM

On another forum another black woman with loooong dreadlocks was saying that Charles Owen makes the only helmets big enough (like a size 8) to fit her head AND hair.

franknbeans 03-10-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe4d (Post 1401052)
Tell her to get a hair cut.
You want to do X activity it requires Y equipment. In order to wear the equipment you need to change your fashion choices. Let her figure it out you'll drive yourself nuts trying to help someone that doesnt want help and will refuse to listen.
I taught womens self defense around concealed handgun carry and banged my head against this for along time. They wanted to carry, but they absolutely refused to make even the slightest change to wardrobe, so of course everything they tried had a problem.
This is the same thing. Get a hair cut or dont ride.

Joe-that statement makes you sound ridiculous. Equipment and wardrobe are TOTALLY different. You can go home and change in a few minutes. Hair-not so much. She could also grow it longer so she could flatten it into a ponytail.......:wink: