The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Anyone do Self-Care at a boarding facility? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/anyone-do-self-care-boarding-facility-115926/)

sassaflash 03-10-2012 02:57 PM

Anyone do Self-Care at a boarding facility?

I am doing research on barns in my area and a lot offer cheap ($80 to $100) boarding if you take care of feed/mucking out/turn out yourself.

If you do self-care, do you like it?

AQHA13 03-10-2012 03:08 PM

I guess technically by having my horses at my house I do the same thing. I really like it, for me horses aren't just about riding, I find enjoyment in the chores too. Although, if I had to travel, I'm not sure that I could make time in the mornings to take care of them.

sassaflash 03-10-2012 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AQHA13 (Post 1400894)
I guess technically by having my horses at my house I do the same thing. I really like it, for me horses aren't just about riding, I find enjoyment in the chores too. Although, if I had to travel, I'm not sure that I could make time in the mornings to take care of them.

Yeah it's a lot more convienenant to have them on your property.
I am lucky that I live right in the middle of horse country and a lot of the boarding places I am looking at are a mile or less away which wouldn't be too bad.
However, full-boarding is so cheap (around $175). It's not really about the money but I am interested in doing the chores just to give me something to look forward to everyday :-)

Losthope236 03-10-2012 04:54 PM

I do self-care at a boarding facility, as full board where I live can be pretty pricey depending on the area. That and I just enjoy being hands on with my horse.

Joe4d 03-10-2012 05:57 PM

you really need to look at what you are doing versus what you are getting. I had a GF thast was getting board but as part of her contract she had to put in 2 evenings a week and about half a day on the weekend to get her rate ?
I let her know she was working 8 hours a weeks to save about 10 dollars a week on board. ummm doesnt make alot of sense. I have read alot of these threads that people "work off" board. and they add up about the same way. You'd be better off working a few hours at the Mcdonalds drive through and paying the board.
Now in my area a few people rent pastures. YOu get about 2 acreas and a run in. In that case you are only taking care of yours. There is no stall to muck the owner drags the fields and waters. So those would be a pretty decent deal.

MyLittleHunter 03-10-2012 05:57 PM

I did self-care boarding for a long time and really liked it.

I love being the one to take care of my horses and make sure they're happy and well taken care of. Plus when I do the work I know it's getting done to the standard I want it done. I was at a barn where the staff was awful, I had to redo everything myself. And on days I couldn't ride I still got to spend time with my boys. :-)

outnabout 03-10-2012 06:18 PM

I would suggest that you make sure you have the time for self-care and can be there to do it everyday. I do self-care with pasture board and really like it for the reasons others stated above, mainly that I know my horses are getting the best care. I do pay a young girl to feed my colt his grain in the a.m. when I am working Mon-Friday. It is good to have someone who can fill in on those days you may be sick or not able to get out to the barn.

Cowgirls Boots 03-10-2012 06:24 PM

125 Attachment(s)
I guess I do "self care"

Where I am I supply my own grain, shavings, and muck my own stall. Hay is supplied.

In the am I leave his feed in his bucket and a lady feeds in the am and turns out. Then at night I feed and muck my own stall and do my own chores. Board for that is $175 a month--plus I pay for grain, shavings, supplements, etc.

Also don't forget the gas to drive to the barn every night...

I love it because it's a quiet barn and I say what my horses eat and don't eat. I'm also in NY so full board with a stall ranges from about $400-$1,000.
Posted via Mobile Device

Saskia 03-10-2012 07:55 PM

I've only ever done self care and its probably all I would do. I don't see the point of having a horse and not caring for it yourself.

The good times I have with horses aren't really riding, its everything else too.

SkyeDawn 03-11-2012 09:12 AM

I do self care. $35 per stall, I supply grain and hay. I get sawdust with the other boarders, so it ends up being about $10 a stall for the whole month.

I love seeing my horses every day. I love being the one to feed them, let them out, let them in, clean their stalls, love on them, etc. I would never do it any other way. I appreciate what I have a lot more when I know what kind of work goes into it.

The stall rent is so cheap because I'm part of the saddle club. You have to be to board there.