The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Price Negogiation when buying (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/price-negogiation-when-buying-115941/)

horsemom2be 03-10-2012 07:35 PM

Price Negogiation when buying

Just wondering, when your buying how low do you go when offering a price to the seller? What is reasonable to offer for a horse listed at $3000 o.b.o? Of course I'd like to get the horse for as low as possible. Would I be rude to offer $2000-$2200??
The horse is in his late teens but has a lot of training and show experience. He is sound and has a good personality. The market here can be overpriced but desperate at the same time because it generally takes a while to sell here. He's up to date on everything except teeth floating...

Cowgirls Boots 03-10-2012 07:41 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Offer them what you feels reasonable. What's the worst they're gonna say? No?
I usually start it off like "I don't want to offend you so please don't take this the wrong way but would you take such and such"

Lol good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device

Skipsfirstspike 03-10-2012 07:50 PM

I don't think you would be out of line Asking 2000. Then the seller will prob counter offer until you agree on a price.-
If $2200 is the most you can afford or are willing to pay, then your best bet is to have either the whole amount or a healthy deposit in your pocket.-
"I would like to offer $2200, and Here is $500 to hold her."-
If you just offer but want to bring money later, they can easily change their mind. Flash the cash at them, they are more likely to cave, then you write the bill of sale/deposit on the spot.-
Bring a pen and paper.

BlueSpark 03-10-2012 07:51 PM

It depends on market value, add content and how low you are asking for. If he is close to market value at $3000, 2200 is a little low, but may be worth trying.

If the add talks about him recently being sent to the trainers, says this horse "means the world" to them, "not in a hurry to sell", or something to the tune of "this horse is worth much more than the asking price" you may not get far.

I generaly think you shouldn't come across as offensive as long as your at 60% of the asking price, and the horse wasn't under priced in the first place. I got a bit offended when some one offered me $200 for a horse I had under priced at $750.

horsemom2be 03-10-2012 07:56 PM

I plan on getting a vet check but didn't want to waste my money if they aren't negogiable on the price. So I wouldn't be able to flash the cash at them without having the check done first.

Country Woman 03-10-2012 08:34 PM

good luck with what you decide

Joe4d 03-10-2012 09:01 PM

if the horse is worth 3000 id offer 3000, I don't stoop to haggleing for the sake of haggling.
Id look at the market and see whats out there and make a single offer based on what I thought was a fair price.

franknbeans 03-10-2012 09:11 PM

Actually, you can AND SHOULD give them a deposit and have them sign a receipt for it contingent upon the horse passing the vet check. Horse fails-you get the deposit back.