The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Worst Confo or Bad damage? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/worst-confo-bad-damage-115974/)

trainerunlimited 03-10-2012 11:44 PM

Worst Confo or Bad damage?

Hey all,
I found this mare online on craigslist just browsing and have no idea what is wrong with her, or if there even is and she is some weird crossbreed. I tend to think something is wayyyy wrong with her, what do you think?

8 yr old mare..KID SAFE

Kayty 03-10-2012 11:46 PM

Quite a dodgy back on her, otherwise nothing shocking wrong with her.

Are you planning on looking at this horse, or just wanting a critique of a random advertisement?

AmazinCaucasian 03-10-2012 11:48 PM

I saw a horse that hurt his back that was made like that.

trainerunlimited 03-10-2012 11:52 PM

I'm not currently looking for a horse, and this one would certainly not be on the list to check out if I were. I was wondering if anyone else had seen something like this and whether it was caused by damage to the spine somehow, or if the horse was born this way.

Kayty 03-10-2012 11:56 PM

It could be either. As AC said, some horses will end up with a back like this through injury. I've seen one that smashed his wither, and there was so much scar tissue that resulted, that his back appeared similar to this horse's.
I would say this horse's soundness won't last for terribly long, and he won't be up to carrying heavy loads or hard work. I could be wrong though, there are always exceptions. I've seen a terribly downhill, short legged quarter horse perform quite an acceptable piaffe under a 'classical' rider.

busysmurf 03-11-2012 12:21 AM

Part camel???

sabowin 03-11-2012 01:11 AM

I'm a newbie to conformation, but are her front fetlocks really knobby, too? But yeah, her back looks pretty weird.

Kayty 03-11-2012 01:15 AM

Fetlocks are fine, just hairy!

smrobs 03-11-2012 01:29 AM

Like others have said, it could be the result of an injury or she may have been born with a deformed spine. Frankly, I'm surprised that she has stayed sound (and accepting) for any riding at all. She must have an incredibly tolerant temperament.

trainerunlimited 03-11-2012 04:09 AM

Yeah, must have. I know there is no way a saddle fits that poor little mare right, must cause her pain.