The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Horse has never done this before (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/horse-has-never-done-before-115998/)

JavaLover 03-11-2012 10:43 AM

Horse has never done this before

My horse is the type of horse than can have months of no work without a saddle on, and then you can just throw it on and ride and everything will be fine. Well, not recently. I've ridden 3 times this week of very very light riding and he has done the exact same thing each time..

I can tack up and mount easily, but as soon as I get my other leg off the ground to swing up, he starts walking. He has never done this before. Maybe it's a loss of respect, but I'm not sure. Now something different; I noticed this the beginning of the week when I went riding in the snow. He was walking and swishing his tail like he was going to get down and roll with me on his back! I immediately pushed him forward and he got a little angry and would start hopping around if I tried to push him any faster than a walk. Again, the next time I rode there was no snow because we got a lot of rain and it was like +12 degrees celcius for a few days. I lunged him before riding this time for a good 15 minutes of cantering and trotting to get any kinks out. I hopped on, and he once again started with the tail swishing and putting the head down. I hopped back off and lunged him again and checked his movement for any sign of pain but I couldn't see any. I got back on and he acted a little more normal.

I had a professional/vet at the barn I board at check him for any pain and to see if my saddle still fit properly and she said that everything was fine.. The 3rd time I rode he did the exact same thing. Any tips? :?

waresbear 03-11-2012 10:46 AM

Just continue to get after him and make him behave as you are doing. He will figure out you mean business and start to act normally again. Horses can be lazy brats at times without regular work, he just got a little older & a little lazier.

JavaLover 03-11-2012 10:50 AM

I sure hope that's what the problem is!

hoopla 03-11-2012 10:53 AM

Possible sweaty horse wanting to roll and get rid of some of that winter coat on a nice patch of soft ground.

Not uncommon if the person on board is being taken for a ride rather than riding

JavaLover 03-11-2012 11:09 AM

He wasn't sweaty, but that could definitely be the reason for rolling. I was just a little nervous when he showed the signs but I made sure to make sure I could hop off in case he did go down!

BlueSpark 03-11-2012 12:22 PM

he sounds like a horse, in spring, who's had some time off and picked up an attitude. I wouldn't worry too much about the laying down thing, just keep him moving, up the pace if you can. Just get on and give him a few good work outs, really get him sweating. He'll soon remember what his job is.

Saddlebag 03-11-2012 12:33 PM

If your horse is doing things out of the ordinary he's likely testing you. Horses do this to each other all the time. A good course of action to take when you are mounted is to get his feet moving while keeping him bent. Walk around trees, barrels, whatever you have and be sure to do changes of direction. When you feel him relax allow him to walk in a straight line for a half dozen strides then allow him to stand and relax for half a minute. Try proceeding with your riding again only this time throw in a few tight turn reminders. If you feel tension again, repeat the first exercises. Just be sure to allow him to rest when he does as you ask as that is his reward.