The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Ponying TBs with a TB? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/ponying-tbs-tb-116042/)

xJumperx 03-11-2012 07:12 PM

Ponying TBs with a TB?

Hello :)
I wasn't 100% sure where to put this, so if it's in the wrong spot, I'm sorry :(
ANYWAYS, there is a racetrack nearby. They accept people to come in and pony the racehorses with thier own horses. The pony horses are kept in a very nice stable, and you go to the track on a set scheduale. My trainer does this for a living.
I am too young to pony at this track. Please don't get on me about my age, because every track is different, and this one may have a different age limit then yours. Anywho, I am still too young.
When I did become old enough, I thought I could try to see if I could take Cowboy to the track to pony horses. He will obviously be much older than 4, which he is now. Here's some info on him-
Black, 17hh OTTB. Best disposition ever, never raced - only trained.
This would be sort of 'part time' you could say, and I'd likely ask if I could just trailer him back and forth. You also have seasons off, obviously.
So do you guys think it would be possible for Cowboy to pony horses AND be competing? I'm pretty sure working at the track is either - 100$ a race, or 100$ a night. So money is no part of this. I am just worried about Cowboy. Is he physically able to do both? Is this hard on horses? Will it be good for him?

If you all think that ponying and showing at the same time is a bad idea, tell me!! I don't care if you say, 'Er, no, you idiot, you can't do that,' just tell me! Now, don't be like, 'Your going to ruin your horse, your a bad horse owner, blah blah blah,' cause that's rude :p It won't hurt my feelings if this can't work out.

IF you think this would be possible, what do I need to do to prepare Cowboy? He is fine having other horses right next to him, even bumping into him. I have ponyed Oatsy (see my horses for details on him) off of Cowboy *bareback and bitless* with no problems whatsoever. Though, Oats is about as calm as you get. If Diamond would let me pony her, I would have tried it, but she insisted that she was -not- being caught.

Sorry for the novel! THanks!!

boots 03-11-2012 09:37 PM

I don't see why it can't be done. Many horses who pony at the track and on farms are ex-racehorses.

Yours just needs to have good manners and be conditioned. Trot, trot, trot is a good way to start.

boldstart 03-11-2012 10:28 PM

Should be no promblem. Just make sure you protect your horses - put boots on him to protect his legs.

Also practice! Not only for your horse but for yourself? Is you and your horse confident having a fired up TB next to him? Can you handle when a horse rears up over your horse?

Just make sure you are well prepared, rather then jump into the deep end! =]]

BoldComic 03-11-2012 11:09 PM

As long as he can stay calm with a fired up racehorse bumping into him it shouldn't be a problem. And make sure you are able to handle a fired up horse when you are sitting atop your horse.

It would be a great way for you to make money for showing if it works. Maybe see if you can take him to the track to get used to the busy hustle of a track. If he trained at a track he may get amped up being back at a track. My dads OTTB gelding has been off the track for 10 years. We took him to a track that he'd never raced at and it was the off season. As soon as he got out of the trailer he was snorting and pawing. Once he got on the track it was a full on race. My point is he remembered what the track was all about. Just be prepared. :)

QHriderKE 03-11-2012 11:36 PM

I pony colts in an appendix mare we have. She's big and stong, and doesn't get excited at other horses being stupid. My sorrel rope horse on the other hand.... I will never ever not ever pony anything with her. She can pull all day long, but she's too dumb for her own good and if another horse blew up, she'd be twice as bad. Stupid arena horses. LOL. Just kiddin. I luff her.

I think it's a matter of knowing your horse. Does he got hot easily? It takes a special kind of horse to stay calm right beside a fired up hot-head.

Country Woman 03-11-2012 11:46 PM

I don`t see a problem either

myyky 03-12-2012 02:07 AM

Most trainers over here use TB's for their racehorses. Usually they are the quietest retired racehorse geldings, they keep them and let them get fat and happy, and use them to pony current racehorses off.

SorrelHorse 03-12-2012 02:13 AM

So long as your okay with the insane creature on the other end of the lead. Kiking, biting, pulling, rearing, bawking, etc. There was a pony horse at a track I visited that got a chunk of his neck taken off by one of the horses he was ponying.

xJumperx 03-12-2012 03:59 PM

Thank you guys!! It sounds like a good deal to me ;) Really, you could probably have a horse on crack jump OVER him and he wouldn't care. He's chill. I'd probably get one of those leather neck layovers to put on Cowboy so the racehorses wouldn't nom on him :p
I am a little concerned about me. I am fine with Oatsy, but if a racehorse reared up on my baby ... what would I do? I'll try to pony Diamond later. She won't rear or anything, but she is fussy. I don't really have any 'idiot' horses though ... so how do I practice?

TexasBlaze 03-12-2012 04:33 PM

maybe you could find a racetrack that would let you practice with some of their horses if they need the help. See if you can help them pony some of the calmer horses for workouts and when they feel your ready you can ask them to let you try something a little hotter. Worth a shot.