The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Artwork (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/)
-   -   Question for the painters (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-artwork/question-painters-116043/)

Misty'sGirl 03-11-2012 07:15 PM

Question for the painters

When you're painting with a background, how do you avoid painting over the line and onto the horse? I always end up with a fuzzy horse mixed into the background :?
Also do you do the background first or last?

DancingArabian 03-11-2012 07:17 PM

What medium are you using to paint with?

I paint with acrylics, so if I'm painting something with a background, I'll paint it first, let it dry completely then paint over it.

When I painted in oils, I did the Bob Ross wet-on-wet style, so I would just paint right on top of the background.

As for the line, you could try painting the line with a flat brush or liner brush, then filling in the space with a different brush.

Misty'sGirl 03-11-2012 07:46 PM

I use acrylics. Well, I try to use acrylics! I'm still teaching myself lol

Caitlinpalomino 03-11-2012 08:04 PM

With acryclis it is best to do the background first. When you are paitning the background put some marsking tape over the horse so that when you paint on it all your doing is painting on the tape. Then when it comes to painting the horse all you have to do is carefully take the tape off :D

Misty'sGirl 03-11-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caitlinpalomino (Post 1402443)
With acryclis it is best to do the background first. When you are paitning the background put some marsking tape over the horse so that when you paint on it all your doing is painting on the tape. Then when it comes to painting the horse all you have to do is carefully take the tape off :D

But if I'm painting on paper won't that tear the paper? (I only paint properly on canvas but I do practises/rough work on watercolour paper). Its a great idea tho, will have to try it :)

Caitlinpalomino 03-11-2012 09:15 PM

I use marsking tape on paper and it works fine, just have to be carefull :)

Misty'sGirl 03-11-2012 09:28 PM

Great, thank you!! :)

DancingArabian 03-11-2012 09:30 PM

For a super cheap alternative, do your practice work on wax paper.

Yes, regular wax paper in the tinfoil section. It's nicer for acrylics than watercolor paper. Watercolor paper always just sucked my brush dry.

Misty'sGirl 03-11-2012 10:12 PM

Wax paper, really? Wow, never would have thought of that! Will definitely give it a go :)