The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   White Discharge from Nose (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/white-discharge-nose-116044/)

sjwrightauthor 03-11-2012 07:18 PM

White Discharge from Nose

Hopefully this is not a big deal, but I thought I would ask. My 12-year-old Rocky Mountain horse had a pure white, thin discharge coming from one of his nostrils. It was only a little bit. Like I said, it's probably not a big deal. Complete vet check done at the end of February came up clean. Thanks!

PaintHorseMares 03-11-2012 08:28 PM

Probably just dust or some irritation. As long as he's eating and drinking I wouldn't worry. If it gets worse or his breathing becomes labored (like it sounds when you have a chest cold), I would have the vet out.

EthanQ 03-11-2012 08:47 PM

Does your horse breath heavier than usual after excercise? and when it does, does it sound like gargling? if so, you could have an upper respiratory infection.

EmilyRosie 03-12-2012 11:21 PM

Our horses get this sometimes I think they just inhale an irritant or something. Usually its fine and nothing to worry about, but if it persists or gets worse I'd get it checked out.

TimberRidgeRanch 03-12-2012 11:33 PM

white is not really cause for concern its when its yellowish/greenish that it may cause for some concern. Just watch for temp if they go off feed labored breathing . Im sure its probably dust etc Good luck

TRR

Arksly 03-13-2012 12:32 PM

I was experiencing the same thing with Jesse. Often the discharge would appear after a ride. It looked exactly as you described. He seemed to get out of breath quickly during our ride but I thought he was just out of shape. Had the vet out, turns out he has heaves.

Is your horse stalled? Or have they been given dusty/moldy hay?
Posted via Mobile Device

TimberRidgeRanch 03-13-2012 12:36 PM

OMG ARKSLY I love that guy on Whos Line is it anyways He was a riot.

Sorry off subject lol

sjwrightauthor 03-13-2012 05:18 PM

He is out of shape. He is stalled at night and out in the field during the day. His breathing is a little labored after working. I brought that up to the vet over the phone. This vet has seen Mission before. He said that it was happening just because Mission was out of shape. He is back to work after two years at pasture.

spirit88 03-13-2012 10:13 PM

Just keep an eye on him that the labored breathing doesnt continue after hes back in shape. If he starts coughing along with this discharge I would have him check by vet could be the start of heaves.

yourcolorfuladdiction 03-13-2012 10:14 PM

He's probably just out of shape (unless he's heaving, gasping, gargling), and it's spring time, the nose is probably an irritant.

I try not to overdramatize things, there's enough to stress about with horses to worry about every little runny nose.