The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Hewi's Hoof and possible issues (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/hewis-hoof-possible-issues-116051/)

CQTAN 03-11-2012 09:31 PM

Hewi's Hoof and possible issues

HI guys Just a quick question or two relating to my boys feet...searching for possible answers or help ...

Hewi is a ott tb...he has 'dishy' feet from what the farrier has told me. At the moment despite min rain he has soft rings around all four hooves (coronet area), when i purchased hewi he has this but it was due to the wet weather. Being new to the in's and outs of proper hoof care i got a farrier to come out and take off his shoes as he was in need of a trim and i thought that i would try to see how we would go being unshod. I am starting to think that he msot likely shouldnt have been taken out of shoes. Reason being - since taking his shoes off this young man has come up lame in the right foot twice and in the left once. The latest being due to a marsh fly bite (or what i think looks like a bite) . Not sure how to upload links but Ive copied and pasted for you to see and give your opinion. Apologies in advance if I am doing something wrong. :cry:

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/hewifoot.jpg
http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/g...orse/foot2.jpg

although i expected him to be a little tender , what ever has happened to his feet is causing him to become lame eaisly. ott tb's are or most likely will come up lame from what i have gathered talking to people but to this extent. Looks like a vet visit is due i would say ...how about you ?

RoosHuman 03-11-2012 09:51 PM

It would be helpful to have pictures of his sole, and of the rest of his hoof against a solid surface so we can see his angles. If he has been shod for most of his life, with the typical toe too long and under run heels, then he is likely sore from the abrupt change to being barefoot. If you have the extra money, you could start him on a biotin supplement, such as horseshoer's secret, that will encourage hoof growth.

loosie 03-11-2012 10:41 PM

Hi,

It appears he has weak heels & flared, rather flat feet, which is unfortunately typical of OTTBs that have been kept & fed intensively & shod & worked from a very young age. You'll have to do your own research & make your own informed decisions, but in my personal opinion, it was almost definitely the right thing to do for him to remove his shoes, but he would need protection, at least on hard, unyielding ground, for a while at least, for his weak feet.

Without more info(management, diet, nutrition etc all play big parts) and some good pics, we can't give you much specific info. Check out the links in my signature for info on hoof pics and also some sources to start your learning.

CQTAN 03-11-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1402627)
Hi,

It appears he has weak heels & flared, rather flat feet, which is unfortunately typical of OTTBs that have been kept & fed intensively & shod & worked from a very young age. You'll have to do your own research & make your own informed decisions, but in my personal opinion, it was almost definitely the right thing to do for him to remove his shoes, but he would need protection, at least on hard, unyielding ground, for a while at least, for his weak feet.
U
Without more info(management, diet, nutrition etc all play big parts) and some good pics, we can't give you much specific info. Check out the links in my signature for info on hoof pics and also some sources to start your learning.

With respect to the above quote ... His diet is mainly just Lucerne and grass , the occasional treat if the day has been successful for us :) (which has happened maybe three times) , I am yet to find a farrier that is of good value but am scouring the local vets for their help in locating one. I will take some pics that are better quality soon and post them. He does seem to be chipping away at his back feet a little also, in treatment for the cracks that started to form I have been using hoof oil and tried Stockholm tar. His paddock and the facilities are black soil , which I doubt are helping him at all at this stage. I'm going to check and see of I have any pics of his basic stance also. :-|

CQTAN 03-11-2012 11:47 PM

Ok so this is his stand at rest .... Snapbucket :: Hewi picture by tanya1984 - Photobucket.
It's concerning as he doesn't look comfy at all

GreySorrel 03-12-2012 12:05 AM

Not knowing your weather and what it is like there, be careful of putting too much hoof type liquids on the outer hoof as you can cause more harm than good by unintentionally making the hoof too soft.

Biotin is a good supplement to get the hoof to grow, smart pak has a great hoof supplement we use on all 4 of our horses, farriers formula is good too but can be a bit pricey. Look around, check to see what the % of biotin is in each then go from there.

Saddlebag 03-12-2012 12:17 AM

Don't worry if he develops small chips in his hooves, that's how a horse gets rid of excess hoof. They were around for millenia before a farrier showed up.

clip clop 03-12-2012 12:31 AM

Shoes!!

HI, im a farrier and i would definately put shoes back on your horse. They will help protect the hoof from spreading any more on the heels and they will not make it sore. Shouldnt have pulled the shoes off to begin with

QOS 03-12-2012 01:03 AM

It may take awhile for him to adjust to being barefoot. Same as a person who has always worn shoes and then takes them off for a walk across rocks - it is going to be uncomfortable. If you can, post some better pictures for us to see.

I learned to do barefoot trimming and do both of my horses - my hats off to any farrier that stands bent over all day. I have learned a ton about hooves from reading, taking a class from a barefoot trimmer (who just happens to also be one of the top endurance riders in the world - she runs 100 mile races on her barefoot horses) and learning with my friends at the barn. My boy had lopped off feet when I bough him...old abscess, cracks ugh. His feet were a mess - he had nice feet though - good hoof walls.

I do put Biscuit in hoof boots if we are going over hard ground with rocks. He is still somewhat tenderfooted. Your horse may always be somewhat tenderfooted but that doesn't mean he can't go barefoot - it may just take a little while and some patience.

Take care of what you are putting on his feet so they don't get too soft. You want them rock hard. The chipping is normal. Biscuit and Sarge will get little rough spots that I rasp out. Read up on barefoot trimming and work with your horses feet on a weekly basis - a little at a time and I bet you will see an improvement.

clip clop 03-12-2012 01:37 AM

shoes? or no shoes?

Keeping a horse barefoot is great if you can, however in some cases you have to put shoes on the horse. I also do barefoot trimming and have seen it work wonders on ALOT of horses but just like any animals, what works for one may not work for the other. 10 years ago I could ask you what type of horse you have and would know what to do by the breed however nowadays I have to ask my clients what they do with their horses to determine what I need to do with their feet. I have had clients that I put shoes on them to correct a problem and then pulled the shoes off and then kept them barefoot. Its very hard to correct a hoof issue by corrective trimming. It takes longer to correct a problem that way. Once you get your horses hooves right and where they are supposed to be then it would be worth you and your horses while to go barefoot.