The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Buck Brannaman's book (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/buck-brannamans-book-116146/)

smrobs 03-12-2012 04:54 PM

Buck Brannaman's book

I finally got the chance to read "The Faraway Horses" by him and I got to thinking about some of the stories he told in the book about horse wrecks he has had throughout his career.

It got me to wondering how many people believe those things actually happened and how many believe that he was exaggerating for the sake of drama.

So, you you believe those things actually happened the way he said or do you think he might have make it sound a lot worse than it actually was?

tinyliny 03-12-2012 04:57 PM

why would you think them unlikely to be true? ARen't spectacular wrecks a part of life as a rough and tumble horse breaker?

ShinaKonga 03-12-2012 05:02 PM

Not sure, wasn't in the situation firsthand to say 'hey, that's not how it went!'. Buck doesn't seem like the kind of guy to do that, but I guess its possible there could be some dramatics.

kevinshorses 03-12-2012 05:36 PM

I don't remember reading anything in the book that seemed outlandish. Is there any particular instance that you doubt? Most of them happened in front of several dozen people so I'd think he'd have to be pretty honest about it.

smrobs 03-12-2012 06:22 PM

No, I'm not doubting at all. I suppose the way I worded it might make it seem that way though. Much of what I am reading in the book reminds me of some of the stories my Dad tells about his younger days riding rank horses. However, he is reluctant to talk about his experiences because people just don't believe him, they think he's putting it on to make himself look better.

I've tried to talk him into writing a book about his life and experiences but he always just laughs and says "Nobody would believe any of the stories in it".

So, I figured I would ask a bunch of folks that weren't from my very small neck of the woods and get their opinions.

TrailxxRider 03-12-2012 06:26 PM

I watched his movie and I really like him. The stuff he says just makes sense to me and he seems like a genuine person. I never read him book, but everything in the movie seemed realistic to me.

Mellow Mel 03-12-2012 07:49 PM

I just finished it last week...I did not have any reason to doubt anything. If you think about all of the horses he has ridden in his lifetime and mainly green horses....it makes sense that it would be true

kevinshorses 03-12-2012 08:09 PM

I thought it rang truer than any of the other trainers books. I won't name names but one clinician changes the names in his books to keep people from calling BS on him.