The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   How eefective is going to a Chiro to help your riding? (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/how-eefective-going-chiro-help-your-116167/)

Klassic Superstar 03-12-2012 06:30 PM

How eefective is going to a Chiro to help your riding?

I need help knowing and spending the money to go to a chiropractor. It was suggested to my by my trainer to help relase tention in my shoulders. (have a bad habbit of rounding them and putting them back in a relaxed form)

I have hada couple scary bad accidents over the years, horse reared and caught me four times in the face while on her (concusion and neck issues) then 2 years ago had my little mare trip and fall on me (while on her) and it really damaged my leg.

When I was 14 I broke my right ankle in three spots ona trampoline.

All my injries are on my right side and now looking at pictures and working with my trainer we are seeing I am protecting my old injuries without knowing it while riding my horse (green horse) and working on his balance is tricky as I am compincating for old injruies (like my brain is sendingmessage sto my body to hold it stiff nad not relax) This is getting frustrating and in pictures of me jumping this weekned (ones I didnt post haha) I can see how bad it is I am leaning to the left litterally making Oliver lean to left to help me stay under him (whata good boy helping! :wink:)

I would like to try to fix this as much as possiable before going into shows where i can be seen correctky riding my horse and helping him go forward and balance through all three gate snad over fences.

I find after my rides my back hurts alot and continues to get very tight over the next 48 hours from my last ride, I dont know what damage I am caughing in my body (mainly my back and hips) but want to fix it as much as I can.:shock:

opions? thaughts? Advice?

maura 03-12-2012 07:15 PM

A chiropracter and massage therapist kept me riding competively for years longer than I would have otherwise; and when I got serious about my dressage education, it was pretty much a necessity to keep balanced and even rather than protecting one side.

I think it's great that your instructor made the suggestion, rather than just continuing to harp on position flaws that you're struggling to address or ignoring and teaching around them.

You have absolutely nothing to lose from trying and it could very well make a big difference in your riding.

Klassic Superstar 03-12-2012 07:18 PM

Thank you, I have a few friends who go to the chiro and they say it really helps. I had my first real massage this year and I felt like a wet noodle after and it helped me so much just to relax when I got in the saddle the first time after it (about 2 days after the massage)

I think I am going to look in my area and see who/where my insurance covers and go for it! I will let you know how I like ita nd how it effects my postions and balance :)

Thank you :)

LostDragonflyWings 03-12-2012 10:49 PM

I go because I have two misaligned discs in my spine. I couldn't see where it would be a bad thing to help relax a little though. I just have the adjustments done, not the massages, and in my case it is helpful as it has been reducing my back and leg pain.

pony gal 03-13-2012 01:36 AM

In Nov 2010, I told my husband, I couldn't stand being in pain anymore, I was going to the dr and get FIXED before 2011 trail riding started. In Dec 2010, I was told I had fibermyalgia and given Savella and Ambien. IN January 2011, after no relieve, I was given Cymbalta, Ambien and melaxicom(?). In Feb, they sent me to physical therapy and xrays for my knees, ft and hands. In either March or April, I was given Flexor and Tramadol. Finally in May, the dr ordered an MRI for my back. The insurance denied it...had to go to 12 sessions of PT first, after 6, the therapist told me NOT to come back until I went back to my dr and told her it wasn't helping. She got the insurance to OK the MRI. I had 2 compression fractures, spinal stenosis, bone spurs, bulged discs and arthritis. ON June 1st, I got a call from a trailer dealer telling me my new LQ Sundowner was in, I told them I'd pick it up the next afternoon as soon as I got done seeing the ortho dr in the AM. The dr told me I shouldn't ride, But then gave me a brace and told me to only walk. Never got to go camping with the trailer, I'd sleep in it, in the yard. The end of July, they told me I could ride more. My fellow up appt in Aug, I was in such pain again I couldn't set by the time I drove to the dr. In Sept, made arrangement for back surgery (kyphoplasty) in Oct. In Nov, I could ride again, take it easy, in Dec, I was told I was as good as I was gonna get, and would only get worse as I got older. Started this yr, in such pain I couldn't hold my head up with out pain, neuropothy in my ft (after the surgery) and thinking I'd have to sell horses and everything related to doing anything with them. On Jan 18th on the advice of a massage therapist (I feel against my family dr and the surgeon's better judgement), I went to a chiroractor. I've been riding and I'm making plans to go camping. I feel she gave me my life back. BUT she's not a snapper, cracker at least not with me....she does ultra sound, massage, electric stim, etc... I started out 2x/wk, then 1/wk, every 2 wks and am going to try every 3 wks, but after a 4 hr ride on Sunday, I might rethink that. Good luck, I hope if you decide to see one, they can help you. By the way, my insurance would only pay for the first 6 visits. The chiropractor is only charging me my copay yet, so if your insurance won't cover your visits, check and see if one will work with what you can afford. Sorry this is so long, but I wanted you to know if one (the right one) can get me feeling better, to be hopeful you can get there, too.

smrobs 03-13-2012 02:11 AM

I agree with Maura, balance means everything and sometimes getting a chiro treatment is the only way to fix it. I've had several back injuries over the years and if I go more than a few months without going to the chiro, I start riding crooked. I can always tell when I need to go because one stirrup will start feeling shorter than the other.

DuffyDuck 03-13-2012 04:03 AM

HAH, this is so weird.

I'm off to the physio tomorrow to have my left shoulder/ac joint looked at.

Fortunately though, mine is free!

I dislocated my shoulder, AC joint and snapped my humerus in 07. I had 8 months no riding (nearly killed me!) and metal rods inserted. Regardless, my muscles reattached wrong, and I really protect my left shoulder whilst riding, meaning I am stiff and sometimes get pushed in to the wall on the left hand as I concave my upper body.

I would definately go, even if it costs a bit to start with, and do the excercises too.

Good luck.. I'll let you know how mine goes tomorrow!

busysmurf 03-13-2012 09:40 AM

WELL worth any $$!!!!! Insuranse typically won't cover massage except in extreme cases of pain management, and even then it's a hassle. But chiro is usually covered. But make sure you research your chiro first!! My FIL went to one that didn't have a good reputation (he didn't do his research) and ended up having a stroke from a bad adjustment.

The one I go to, I've been seeing for 12 yrs (she's actually thinking of writing a book on how messed up I am, LOL). It makes a world of difference. Depending on your body, it may not make everything 100% better, but it gives you a better chance at achieving that. Think of it this way. If you plant a tree, and it grows crooked, eventually it will fall over. If you take that same tree, and help it grow straight, it will stand tall forever. (My chiro likes to use that one;)

gigem88 03-13-2012 10:58 AM

I go once a month for an adjustment and wouldn't have it any other way! As an (ahem) older rider, it does help me from getting lower back pain. My back still goes out, but it is less often and fewer days to recovery!

BlueSpark 03-13-2012 11:12 AM

I won't even go into how many injuries i have. My massage therapist worked wonders on me. She is specifically a sports injury therapist. she fixed my shoulders, back, hips, neck, hips, knee and ankles. all from various horse and ski related injuries. dont know what i would have done without her