The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Lilers! (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/lilers-116172/)

theblackQH 03-12-2012 06:47 PM

Lilers!

6 Attachment(s)
So I posted a horse named Lily on the critique form a while ago and got a lot of negative comments about her confo. I defiantly took all those critique's into mind. But I liked her so much despite her faults that I did a vet check on her. The vet said she was in great looking shape for a 4 year old, that she was a great mover, and she'd be good for barrels. My mom and friends rode her and loved her as well. I don't want anyone thinking I didn't care about what they had to say about her, but I really did and I respected that you took the time to help me out.
I don't know what my new barn has her on(feed wise) but good lord does she look better than she did two weeks ago! She has already around about 2 inches and she's not as sad looking. Her first day ever being in a stall she just stood there and ate her food. But anyways. I was walking and trotting about barrels, and working on flexing with her. She does it like a champ! Her first time going round barrels, it seemed like she's been doing it for a few weeks. she swings her butt right out and bends her neck. I'm not going to rush into anything since she's only 4, I don't want to make her a hot horse.
I also did down and back with her a few times just cantering and she does great! The stretch she has at the trot an canter completely amazes me! She picks up her correct leads for each barrel and everything. I'm very satisfied with the choice I made buying her. I have some pictures to share with you guys! Feel free so critique on her!
I wasn't sure where to post this, but if it's not in the appropriate spot the admins can move it!(:

CLaPorte432 03-12-2012 06:54 PM

Honestly, that first picture you posted, doesn't look at all like this horse. ;-) The first picture doesn't do her justice at all, I think she looks much better in these photos.

And conformation isn't everything. I'd take a horse with "okay" conformation if I clicked with him/her and they had a great disposition.

If you felt that Lily was right for you, that's all that matters.

I love her big booty!

theblackQH 03-12-2012 07:00 PM

Everyone at my barn loves her butt! In the pictures that the previous owner had of her, her ears were never up and she looked upset. But in these she looks so happy!

horselover21 03-12-2012 07:27 PM

I think she is beautiful!! She looks like she will be a good barrel horse. I like her color and I also like her butt! Its so round :D Haha
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRacer23 03-12-2012 08:22 PM

I like her, she reminds me of the filly i had but with straighter legs :)
Not every opinion will be right either ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

theblackQH 03-13-2012 12:38 PM

Thanks guys! I really am great full for her.
Another thing; Is there any tips on getting her conditioned and started on barrels?

SorrelHorse 03-14-2012 11:11 AM

I agree she does look better. I'm glad you found a fit for yourself. I was ready to drag my butt over there and pull you away from her if I had to, admittedly....But, I'm not certain now.

As for conditioning, I would do a lot of rounding and driving into the bridle, up and down hills, stops and rollbacks along the fence, general riding to condition.

DrumRunner 03-15-2012 09:25 PM

She looks like a completely different horse to me..I think the other picture was just totally unflattering of her..

Sometimes you just know that you've got to have that horse..It doesn't matter if they have perfect conformation..I look for it, but I'm not going to say all of mine have perfect conformation. If you love her and are really enjoying her then that's great, she'll make you happy and really that's all that counts..SH gave good advice and there are a bunch of other threads started already on the many exercises you can do to get her in shape and get you both started..Just remember to take everything SLOW..That's key with a barrel horse, slow work, keep it different and fun..Good luck!

theblackQH 03-15-2012 10:57 PM

I compared what she looks like now to all the other pictures before I got her, and I saw huge differences in every part of her! Thats so much for your replies!