The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   critique this feed for weight gain (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/critique-feed-weight-gain-116174/)

mramsay 03-12-2012 07:51 PM

critique this feed for weight gain

4 Attachment(s)
Well, despite my last thread and ZERO responses I decided on a feed to supplement my gelding to help him gain about 150 lbs (I hope). I spoke to the local feed store and this is what they recommended:

LifeLine Equical Pellet

Analysis: Ingredients:
  • Protein 14% Dehydrated alfalfa meal
  • Fat 12% Canola Meal
  • Fiber 22% Mill Run/Wheat Bran
  • Sodium 0.35 % Soy Meal
  • Calcium 1.15% Broad Spectrum Amino Acids
  • Phos 0.6% Pure Soya Oil
  • Copper 73mg/kg Organic Selenium Sel-Plex
  • Zinc 230 mg/kg Bioplex Organic Trace Minerals
  • vit A 20000 IU/kg BioPhos
  • vit D 2400 IU/kg PreBiotics
  • vit E 425 IU/kg SoyHulls
  • Selenium 0.99mg/kg Yea-Sacc
  • Limestone
Performace Vitamin mix
Salt
Whey Powder
Mold Inhibitor

Feed Directions : 0.5-1.0 kg /100 kg body weight /day
do not feed more than 2.25 kg at a time

Blitz is 500kg so 2.5-5 kg a day divided into two feedings
Bag of feed (25 kg) is $19.95 and will last about a week.

Here is the link to my other thread for background info:
http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutr...-ribby-116093/

PLEASE give feedback as I do not know a whole lot about horse nutrition and all my horsey buds say grain grain grain... yuck

Picture of horse for reference :)
First two pictures show him at a decent body weight, 3rd one shows him a littl etubby before winter, and the last one shows the weight he is at now (even though the picture is not of now--but last spring)

mramsay 03-12-2012 07:54 PM

wow that didnt post right, I had the ingredients and analysis seperate and looking all nce here is the link to the feed:
http://ottercoop.com/_customelements...orsePellet.pdf

Saddlebag 03-12-2012 08:02 PM

He doesn't need any more weight in fact he could drop about 25 lbs. Tubby horses are not healthy horses. Be careful about what feed dealers tell you as they are in the business of selling. His primary feed is grass and hay. If he's getting light riding he needs nothing else. If you are riding several hours almost daily then he'll be fine with a few pounds of oats twice daily. If you add too much to the diet, your horse will generate very expensive manure. Oats are beneficial to a horse's hindgut. I've fed this diet for years and my horses have always been healthy and shiney.

mramsay 03-12-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1404124)
He doesn't need any more weight in fact he could drop about 25 lbs. Tubby horses are not healthy horses. Be careful about what feed dealers tell you as they are in the business of selling. His primary feed is grass and hay. If he's getting light riding he needs nothing else. If you are riding several hours almost daily then he'll be fine with a few pounds of oats twice daily. If you add too much to the diet, your horse will generate very expensive manure. Oats are beneficial to a horse's hindgut. I've fed this diet for years and my horses have always been healthy and shiney.

If you read the attached thread, he is getting ribby ( I can see the outline of a few ribs under his winter coat and can feel a bunch with no pressure, I notice that there is more definition around the hips and spine-in a badway. He is a little underweight right now

waresbear 03-12-2012 08:23 PM

Seems like a decent grain. The last picture it's hard to tell, but he looks a tad thin to me, so up the hay & feed the grain for the protien as the recommended rate on the bag. Doesn't hurt to have some pro-biotics & selenium in his diet, but do not overdo it.

waresbear 03-12-2012 08:24 PM

Sorry forgot....other pictures he doesn't need anymore weight & he is a great looking horse too!

Jumper12 03-12-2012 08:25 PM

i think it should help put lbs on, its pretty high protein and fat. seems similar to ultium in protein/fat content and that helped put weight on my horse.

mramsay 03-12-2012 08:25 PM

Do to pasture boarding circumstance and the fact that he cannot be fed seperate from the herd, I cannot relaible increase his hay intake. Hoping to go out and feed twice a day a few hours before or after hay is fed and give him the soaked feed.

GreenBackJack 03-12-2012 08:28 PM

I read your other thread on him. I'm not entirely sure why you are concerned about his weight at this point. You've said he's otherwise healthy, been vet checked, wormed, teeth checked and he eats to his own satisfaction. He is also on pasture pretty much all the time and not gettin bullied into starvation. You also say that he was the same last year plus you show him plumping up again -if I followed your photo timeline correctly?

Normally healthy horses in the wild thin down considerably before spring. This actually prepares them for grazing on all that high carb spring grass without foundering and otherwise making fools of themselves. I honestly think that if he isn't ill, in pain or being bullied, I'd wait and see if he starts plumping back up as the spring wears on.
Sometimes "fixing" something just brings a new problem.
*Usual disclaimers apply ;-)

mramsay 03-12-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1404168)
Sorry forgot....other pictures he doesn't need anymore weight & he is a great looking horse too!

love him to bits! the first two pictures are him ad a decent weight, the third is him a little tubby going into winter (and also just coing off of rest from an injury) and the last is his weight now (although it is an old pick, lol) you can kind of see ribs, and his whiter/back bone is more prominent. Also first place he loses weight is in his neck, which is definately his trouble area... Sorry for the confusion, lol.