The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Saddle Questions (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/saddle-questions-116187/)

Amber and Mac 03-12-2012 08:58 PM

Saddle Questions

I'm sure this should go in the tack section, but it's really about Barrel Saddles so I decided to put it here. If any mod stumbles across this and decides it doesn't fit here, then feel free to move it to the tack section.

Anyways, My birthday is coming up and my family is thinking about buying me a saddle. We don't have a lot of money so we can't afford a $2,000 saddle. I've been looking in craigslist and equinenow and I've found nothing. A lot of the saddles that I've seen look like they shouldn't even be classified as a barrel saddle. They all look like a trail/pleasure saddle, but that's just me.

My primary question is, Is ebay safe to look for barrel saddles? I've always been very skeptical of ebay and I've never bought anything horse related on it. When I search barrel saddles, I get a huge list of the Sets. You know, the ones with the saddle, breast collar, etc. I'm not sure if those are good quality just because so many people are selling them for a reasonable price.

So my second question is, are those sets decent, worth the money and comfortable? I'm looking for a 15" seat with Full QH bars and a deep seat, and I don't have all the specs for my desired saddle right now..My price range is about $500. We probably could go a little higher but $500 and below is the desired price.

Thank you all for your input!

BarrelRacer23 03-12-2012 09:08 PM

Dont buy the sets they're crap. Ebay is fine to buy from, but search brands. I always search for "billy cook barrel saddle 15' ect. Look up Billy Cook, Circle Y, Tex Tan, HR and any others people can think of. I see alot of good used ones for around your price on there sometimes. You can also look on horseclicks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ray MacDonald 03-12-2012 09:13 PM

You can also look on www.kijiji.com.

Amber and Mac 03-12-2012 10:14 PM

Oh okay! Thank you both for your feedback!

QHriderKE 03-12-2012 10:18 PM

Look up "Barrel Racing Tack Swap" on facebook. There's saddles there. If you can dig through everything else.

Joe4d 03-13-2012 06:31 AM

yes definitely shop for brands. There are deals to be had. If the brand isnt listed they are probably junk. Even if they are not you have no way of knowing.

DrumRunner 03-14-2012 03:44 AM

If you can go a little higher or save a little longer I would get a KO Trading saddle..I have a custom saddle made by them..It cost $800 but it's completely custom, from the skirt, seat, horn length, swell, stirrups, conchos..the whole deal..and I looove it.
http://www.kotrading.com/buildyourownsaddle.aspx

You can find those deals on brand name saddles but definitely don't buy cheap because that's what you can afford..Save a little longer and get something with better quality.

Amber and Mac 03-15-2012 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumRunner (Post 1406942)
If you can go a little higher or save a little longer I would get a KO Trading saddle..I have a custom saddle made by them..It cost $800 but it's completely custom, from the skirt, seat, horn length, swell, stirrups, conchos..the whole deal..and I looove it.
Build Your Own Barrel Racer Saddle

You can find those deals on brand name saddles but definitely don't buy cheap because that's what you can afford..Save a little longer and get something with better quality.

Ohh... We will definitely consider!

DrumRunner 03-15-2012 02:36 AM

They really are awesome saddles..mine fits all of my three horses. I ride in it multiple days a week and it's comfy and has really been everything I wanted in a saddle. It's nice to be able to have it custom made also, it's very "me"..I'll definitely buy from them again when I need another saddle..

If you want to look, there are pictures of my saddle and my sister's KO in my albums..

chandra1313 03-15-2012 03:05 AM

I bought my saddle on ebay. I didn't buy the sets, seemed suspisious to me. I always type in a certain brand I'm looking for and usually I typed used plus brand, it really helps to weed out the sets. I asked for more detailed pics from the seller with closeups good lighting and my saddle was exactly what I ordered.