The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   I have a QUESTION!!!! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/i-have-question-11619/)

Juno21 07-15-2008 11:13 PM

I have a QUESTION!!!!

Okay well my question is............

Well my horse is alone at my barn so the grass is growing faster than she can eat it. and may I say theres alot of grass(4 pastures up to my ankles and some places up to my chest). Now my question is, should I take her off her grain because she is eating plenty of grass and hay? I just dont want her to founder or colic.

Juno21 07-15-2008 11:15 PM

Oh yea also she put on some weight! I have been working her in the round pen and it seems to help a little!

My2Geldings 07-15-2008 11:49 PM

The question is, what was your initial reason for putting her on grain?

Juno21 07-16-2008 12:01 AM

well I have always had my horses on grain!!!!!! should I not that the question.

Feathers 07-16-2008 12:15 AM

I think if she is doing good on grass and hay alone (especially if it's nice lush green grass)....then grain is not of importance. Grain, correct me if I am wrong, is for horses who need a source of concentrated energy for one reason or the other (underweight, working, senior, ect) ...

I'm sure she probably doesn't need too much grain, if any, if she is supported fine off pasture and hay (especially if you say she is gaining weight).

However, if you still want to grain her, you can just give her a little (like for a treat), or you can get her a ration balancer type grain (which is meant to be fed in very small quantities)...or a grain that is lighter in 'energy'....such as a weight control or light formula. I think the ration balancer is a good idea, to balance out the hay and grass.

I hope this helps!

Bitless 07-16-2008 02:29 AM

If you have pleanty of grass available then i wouldnt bother having her on grain.

My old guys of 21yrs and 19yrs live off grass all year round, Foxy only gets grain in Winter.

But if you go to take her off the grain be sure to wean her off it dont stop it straight away, as i have been told it can end up causeing problems.

Rachluvshorses4eva 07-16-2008 04:53 AM

Yeah, go ahead. But I always thought that if you are riding your horse you have to feed it more then just grass...

Juno21 07-16-2008 05:13 PM

Well it's not that she gaining weight but when I got her, you could see her ribs a little(She wasnt in bad condition) and now you can't see them at all or feel them. So shes gained weight scence I had her.

Appyt 07-16-2008 05:36 PM

I do not grain my horses. They are on pasture year round and get hay when the grass is dormant(winter). When I do give them extra feed it is much more of a fiber type feed like alfalfa pellets or cubes, beet pulp, etc.. As long as they are in good shape and lacking in something they don't need grain. Few horses need it.. Those in training, hard work, etc yes they may need it as they are burning more calories than they take in..

My2Geldings 07-16-2008 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juno21
well I have always had my horses on grain!!!!!! should I not that the question.

There should be a good reason for a horse grain. You shouldn't be giving your horse grain for the sake of giving you horse grain. Was it based on "everyone's doing it so so am I" is for metabolic reasons? health?

Why are you giving grain?