The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Drooling out grain when the grain is wet? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/drooling-out-grain-when-grain-wet-116202/)

Wallaby 03-12-2012 09:48 PM

Drooling out grain when the grain is wet?

Lacey has her yearly check up coming up soon so I'm trying to have all my ducks in a row, as it were.

Today after I fed her, I noticed that she was drooling out a ton of her grain (ration balancer, actually) while she was chewing. I've noticed this before but today it seemed excessive. Like there was a little puddle of pellets and watery mush outside her feed bucket versus the usual of a few drops here and there.

I do wet her feed down (I probably add a cup of water to 1lb of feed) because, even though she has all her teeth, I want her food to be easy for her to process.

She got her teeth done last spring and the vet felt that they probably wouldn't need to be done again for 24 months. her front teeth don't really touch anymore, but at her age, the vet said that that was to be expected.

I guess my question is: is drooling out wet grain the same as dropping dry grain?
I kinda figure that drooling out wet grain is probably par for the course since if I were trying to eat Rocky Road ice cream with my head down, some would fall out, but I just want to make sure I'm correct in that assumption.

I plan to get the vet to check her teeth when she's out here again anyway but I'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks! :)

tinyliny 03-12-2012 10:12 PM

I don't know, maybe we should get some Rocky Road ice cream and give a try.

sorry, I have no really helpful comments, just being a dork.

Mdawn 03-12-2012 10:35 PM

I'm pretty sure that's fine. I mean sometimes food just falls out lol. But since you have the vet coming out soon he/she can check her out. Good luck :]

yourcolorfuladdiction 03-13-2012 10:45 PM

Our older horse does the same thing. He's had some tooth problems in his past so his food has to be wet, and he'll drool/drop his wet grain but he'll usually go through and clean it up afterwards. It's just how he eats now.

We also have a horse that gets what I would akin to "pony soup" and she gets it EVERYWHERE. She gets it on herself, on you, on the walls, on the floor, on her friends, it falls out of her mouth as she eats it because she doesn't chew with her mouth closed lol (no tooth problems she's just a slob of an eater).