The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   good feed for best coat shine and health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/good-feed-best-coat-shine-health-116229/)

snowsadriftn 03-13-2012 02:15 AM

good feed for best coat shine and health

I'm new to this forum but not to horses, however, I have grown up on a ranch and our horse's appearance was never a big issue. We basically brushed the mud off of them then saddled up. I would like to start competing and want to put a nice healthy shine to my gelding that is not just from a grooming product. I have heard that ground flax seed is a good choice, any other suggestions? Also, some feeds tend to make my gelding "hot".

Shropshirerosie 03-13-2012 04:12 AM

You may well get suggestions about feeding oil (linseed or flax of just plain vegetable) for coat shine, but the truth is that grooming is what gets a real shine.

At my livery yard there are 21 horses fed on various diets and kept for various disciplines. The horses that shine like polished brass are the ones whose owner grooms them obsessively every day with brushes that are never allowed to get dirty.

PintoTess 03-13-2012 04:18 AM

I think good coat health comes from inside out.
Copra meal is good, keeps weight on as well as making the coat healthy.
Sunflower seeds as well.

Kayty 03-14-2012 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shropshirerosie (Post 1404911)
You may well get suggestions about feeding oil (linseed or flax of just plain vegetable) for coat shine, but the truth is that grooming is what gets a real shine.

At my livery yard there are 21 horses fed on various diets and kept for various disciplines. The horses that shine like polished brass are the ones whose owner grooms them obsessively every day with brushes that are never allowed to get dirty.

Sorry, I don't agree. No amount of grooming is going to make a malnourished, wormy horse shine. Just like no amount of hoof oil will turn terribly, cracked, crumbling hooves perfectly healthy. Grooming is simply the 'finishing touch' to a good coat. My yearling is out in the paddock and gets brushed once in a while. His coat is so shiny that he looks like rippling water!
A shiny coat comes first and foremost from good nutrition and a healthy horse. So up to date with worming, and a diet that is well balanced and appropriate for the horses age and level of work. Oils can certainly assist in promoting a healthy coat, but oil alone will no do it. It has to be fed as part of a balanced diet.

MyBoyPuck 03-14-2012 12:35 AM

Rice bran or flax. Either will put a nice shine on your horse's coat.

GreySorrel 03-14-2012 08:04 AM

We give our 4 horses BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds). Since giving them that, and you need to know how much for that horse, it will put a very nice shine to their coat come spring when they begin to shed. My two QH feel like silk right now, and when my Percheron's shed out, we get a lot of comments on how startling white they are with the shine.

Also, we don't feed any feed with sugar, so they get steamed rolled oats and a heaping cup of cracked corn along with the BOSS.

Susan Crumrine 03-14-2012 08:10 AM

I feed whole flax seed for coat, and overall immune system boost.
Grinding is only good if you feed right away.

verona1016 03-14-2012 06:38 PM

Omega-3 contributes to a number of things, including a healthy, shiny coat. While it's present in fresh grass, it's less abundant in dried hay, so horses with limited access to pasture can benefit from a supplement.

Flax seed (whole or ground) is a good omega-3 supplement. Grinding isn't necessary for the horse to get the nutrients out of the seed, and if you do grind, you need to do it right before you feed to prevent the meal from going rancid. You can also feed flax seed oil or fish oil, but those tend to be pricey.

I know people who feed BOSS to their horses, but it's high in omega-6 and has very little omega-3. In small amounts, it's not going to really harm your horse, but it's not as good for your horse as something that gives more omega-3.

loosie 03-16-2012 09:51 PM

Hi,

Along with well balanced nutrition, I too agree that flax/linseed is great. After a recent discussion, I feel the need to learn more about 'to grind or not to grind', but it does lose it's nutritional value very quickly after processing, so if you grind it, buy whole & grind it per meal. If you choose to feed the oil, it needs to be cold pressed & stored in a cool place & lightproof container.

Oh & while grooming definitely helps, all the horses where I agist(12 of them) get brushed once a week, if that & those with good diets are much shinier & healthier coats(& hooves) even when dirty.

tbrantley 03-16-2012 10:20 PM

I have used Grand Meadows Grand Coat supplements before, and I really liked how my horses’ mane and tail grows thick and with a very nice shine all over. What I liked even more that it really helped their hoofs to get stronger.

I didn't have to use it very long, I bought one tub and put it in all my horses feed until I ran out. My horses still have a very nice healthy shine and healthy strong hooves. I also feed my horses a little alfafa hay and Safe Choice feed. They get a lot of tender loving care with daily brushing and coconut oil on their manes and tails. They are also on a schedule worming and keep their teeth floated. They are also exercised daily. I think these are the things that help my horses to have that healthy shine and a great comformation that makes the judges notice!!!:wink: