The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Garden for the horse? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/garden-horse-116251/)

furbabymum 03-13-2012 11:27 AM

Garden for the horse?

Anyone plant a garden just for your hourse?? I don't usually plant carrots but I think I am going to this year for my horses.

If you do plant one, what do you plant?

FlyGap 03-13-2012 12:03 PM

28 Attachment(s)
I was going to ask this very same question!
We have a pretty large garden, the horses don't care for much in it. Last year we planted apple trees, carrots, and WATERMELON! They love them and so do we!
Wish they would eat squash, I've always got a plenty of extra.

Can't wait to see what else everyone plants!

furbabymum 03-13-2012 01:00 PM

Watermelon would be nice. I don't think I would be able to grow them though. Ditto to most fruit trees. So I'm stuck with carrots, celery and spinach. Not sure that they would eat spinach but it grows really well here.

MyLittleHunter 03-13-2012 01:03 PM

I used to grow carrots for my horses. I just moved to NY, but my landlord has given me permission to plant one of their small gardens with carrots for my boys who I board 15min away.

smokeslastspot 03-13-2012 01:16 PM

I usually plant a cantaloupe plant for my guys. They like the rind and everything. A coworker of mine says that something in the cantaloupe seeds works like a natural dewormer and a half a fruit should be enough to "deworm" an average horse. Not sure about that, but they sure seem to like the flavor!

TimberRidgeRanch 03-13-2012 01:20 PM

FURBABY toss some watermelon seeds at the back of your manure pile or make a seperaste pile and watch just how easy it is to grow those suckers as well as pumpkins. Roses tomatoes cucmbers all love that stuff lol

I grow all kinds of vegies and tons of carrots. I toss my horses corn husks and cobs as well as beet tops watermelons dandy lions ( weeds ) I dont grow those lol they just move in. Maragold tops Bananas ( I dont grow those But my horses love them peels and all )

furbabymum 03-13-2012 02:18 PM

My problem is that growing season is about 3 months for us. lol I feel lucky when my corn gets knee height with the bloody wind we have. grr. Onions grow well though.

I will be using horse manure for sure though!

TimberRidgeRanch 03-13-2012 02:27 PM

Man I got to stop typing fast lmao I got typos like I got horses lol. Plus this tiny dang thing causes fat finger syndrom lol

Start your corn indoors just use CowPots they are recycled cow manure compressed into starter pots helps in preventing transplanting shock. Most corn only takes between 74 to 80 days so starting them indoors 4 weeks before last frost ( Not sure your area ) I started mine yesterday.

FlyGap 03-13-2012 02:38 PM

28 Attachment(s)
I was going to suggest the same thing with the watermelons!
Normally they don't transplant well, so use the biodegradible peat pots and make sure you acclimate them to the sun before planting. Shouldn't have a problem!

waresbear 03-13-2012 07:59 PM

Not that I planted them for the horses, but lets see, I've had all my petunias eaten, hanging baskets eaten to nubs, spinach & lettuce devoured.....Note to self *do not let horses out in the yard.!