The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Too Stubborn to Go to a Chiro (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/too-stubborn-go-chiro-116262/)

Stoddard 03-13-2012 12:53 PM

Too Stubborn to Go to a Chiro

I realize someone already has a thread, but everyone has different situations and I'm looking for something to suit my needs, not someone else's. :)

So, the other day, while explaining how I wear my shoes down, I was told by Dianna, Cassey, and Nancy to maybe see a chiro. My boyfriend has suggested it several times, but I'm a little scared to go. I've heard a lot of bad stories, but some good ones. Here's my problems.

My left foots, if you look at the bottom of my shoe, is worn inside heel and outside ball of foot. My right is outside heel, inside ball. I can really tell when my feet or sore, but otherwise I'm pretty oblivious to it. As far as I can tell, it doesn't really effect my leg positions or riding much, I just have to remind myself from time to time to not be so heavy in my left stirrup.

I walk with a straight back. My shoulders aren't held back as much as Nancy would like, but they don't slope horribly either. I kinda have to walk this way now - kinda in the middle - otherwise my lower back will hurt a little more than it already does. I'm fairly used to back pain.

When I was about 11-12 years, I hopped on my pony bareback and rode him across the pasture, and slid off right onto a sharp rock, nailing myself in my tailbone region. I was numb and unable to move for a few minutes, and had to take several more minutes to move to my hands in knees. After some deep breaths and a couple of tears, I gritted my teeth and crawled to the fence. I used it to get back up, and crawled over it and walked to fence number two. I didn't get x-rays, because I didn't even tell my mom for about 3 days because I was embarrassed.

Another time was when I hit that same spot on a fence when thrown fantastically into the flat, hard part of a fence. It took me a few minutes to get up from that one, too.

Almost every single fall has been right on my lower back. I have yet to land on my head (except sorta that time Princess tripped and nose dived on top of me).

I'm also frustrated by the fact that I can't really sit for the trot, so I have to post in the western saddle. Sometimes I can get on a horse and do it, but 99 times out of 100, I'm gonna go, "ooh, ouch" the whole way.

I don't really have the money to spare. I've heard both that they were expensive and inexpensive. I was kinda hoping someone could give me suggestions on what I could do to maybe lessen the pain in my back without having to go to a chiropractor.

If all else fails, I guess I can break down and go to one, but like the title says - I'm a bit stubborn. I've been in pain since I was a kid, and I can't really take pain killer anymore (not that I took them often to begin with).

So, thoughts, advice? Should I suck it up and just go? :/

Ink 03-13-2012 01:31 PM

I love the chiropractor! Although technically the guy I go to is a D.O. not a chiropractor, but he does the same thing as far as giving adjustments. He also does acupuncture and electrotherapy, both of which are wonderful!

My visits were covered 100% by insurance, so I don't know about the price. But if you have decent heath insurance, there's a good chance it'll be covered, so that something to look into. I highly recommend it though, especially if you're having chronic pain issues. You'll be amazed at what can be accomplished in just one or two sessions.

Stoddard 03-13-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ink (Post 1405345)
I love the chiropractor! Although technically the guy I go to is a D.O. not a chiropractor, but he does the same thing as far as giving adjustments. He also does acupuncture and electrotherapy, both of which are wonderful!

My visits were covered 100% by insurance, so I don't know about the price. But if you have decent heath insurance, there's a good chance it'll be covered, so that something to look into. I highly recommend it though, especially if you're having chronic pain issues. You'll be amazed at what can be accomplished in just one or two sessions.

I don't and can't afford health insurance, and am actually in need of re-applying to medicaid. :/ Lame, right? I'll consider it though, and see what I can do.

Saddlebag 03-14-2012 11:41 PM

You could try a physio therapist. At least you'd come home with a list of exercises to do. You won't be manipulated like a chiro does. You may need your doctor to recommend it.

Stoddard 03-15-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 1408293)
You could try a physio therapist. At least you'd come home with a list of exercises to do. You won't be manipulated like a chiro does. You may need your doctor to recommend it.

That sounds a little better. I'll ask my doctor about it when I go in to see 'em next, which won't be long from now. Thank you, I never even thought of that.

CaliB 03-15-2012 08:13 PM

Hey there Stoddard, I'm a chiropractic assistant out here in Cali and it seems that you could def. benefit from some adjustments. Horse back riding alone is terrible for your back, but with your past injuries, you may have degeneration in your lower back or some bulging or herniated disks.
With your history, it would probably be a smart thing to get x-rays of your lumbar spine to be evaluated and possibly an MRI (if the doctor thinks that it is necessary).
My suggestion is to definitely go to the chiropractor in your area, most of the time to get a consultation with a chiropractor is free, so it can't hurt to just go and talk to them.

Some tips for you for after riding when you are sore:
-ICE. Ice is going to bring down inflammation, although the heat does feel amazing, try to stay away from heat on the sore area. Apply ice 10 mins on, 10 mins off for an hour or so, see how you feel and go from there.

-Drink plenty of water. A good amount to go by is half your body weight in ounces. So if you weight 135 lbs, 135/2=67.5. So aim for 67.5 ounces of water a day.
Staying hydrated will reduce the pain factor in your body and hydrate your discs in your back.

-You could also look into a TENS unit. What a tens unit does is sends electric pulses into your muscles to bring down inflammation and also promotes endorphin release into your body (natural pain killers.) While this can be worn at home, consulting with a doctor for proper use is suggested.

I hope you feel better soon!

Stoddard 03-15-2012 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliB (Post 1409718)
Hey there Stoddard, I'm a chiropractic assistant out here in Cali and it seems that you could def. benefit from some adjustments. Horse back riding alone is terrible for your back, but with your past injuries, you may have degeneration in your lower back or some bulging or herniated disks.
With your history, it would probably be a smart thing to get x-rays of your lumbar spine to be evaluated and possibly an MRI (if the doctor thinks that it is necessary).
My suggestion is to definitely go to the chiropractor in your area, most of the time to get a consultation with a chiropractor is free, so it can't hurt to just go and talk to them.

Some tips for you for after riding when you are sore:
-ICE. Ice is going to bring down inflammation, although the heat does feel amazing, try to stay away from heat on the sore area. Apply ice 10 mins on, 10 mins off for an hour or so, see how you feel and go from there.

-Drink plenty of water. A good amount to go by is half your body weight in ounces. So if you weight 135 lbs, 135/2=67.5. So aim for 67.5 ounces of water a day.
Staying hydrated will reduce the pain factor in your body and hydrate your discs in your back.

-You could also look into a TENS unit. What a tens unit does is sends electric pulses into your muscles to bring down inflammation and also promotes endorphin release into your body (natural pain killers.) While this can be worn at home, consulting with a doctor for proper use is suggested.

I hope you feel better soon!

Oh wow, really? My dad suffers from degenerative disk disease. Yeah, I think I'm definitely going to talk to my doctor and stop being a stubborn ass.

CaliB 03-16-2012 01:12 AM

I think that would be best....as I always tell my patients...you have to live with your back the rest of your life so you mind as well take care of it :)

Poseidon 03-16-2012 01:27 AM

I adore the chiropractor. I knock my neck and back out of place all the time from riding and my general clumsiness. In 2010, I twisted a vertebra in my neck from riding and was sent to the ER 3 times in a week and a half with the most excruciating headache I could ever imagine. None of the doctors could figure out anything other than keep running tests and keeping me loaded on painkillers (dilaudid, mind you, because morphine wasn't strong enough). One nurse suggested going to my chiro. I laid down on the chair thing and he asked if had been in a severe car accident because my neck was so messed up. One crack and all the pain was gone.

I have actually been meaning to call mine because I have a nerve pinched in my left hip, so when I use my left leg to cue my mare, it shoots pain down to my heel.

I used to go all the time (like..once every week or two) because I'd get huge knots from cleaning stalls and need electro therapy to work out. However, I invested in my own little device so I can do it at home whenever I need.

I, personally, have only had positive experiences from the chiropractor.

Stoddard 03-16-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poseidon (Post 1410292)
I adore the chiropractor. I knock my neck and back out of place all the time from riding and my general clumsiness. In 2010, I twisted a vertebra in my neck from riding and was sent to the ER 3 times in a week and a half with the most excruciating headache I could ever imagine. None of the doctors could figure out anything other than keep running tests and keeping me loaded on painkillers (dilaudid, mind you, because morphine wasn't strong enough). One nurse suggested going to my chiro. I laid down on the chair thing and he asked if had been in a severe car accident because my neck was so messed up. One crack and all the pain was gone.

I have actually been meaning to call mine because I have a nerve pinched in my left hip, so when I use my left leg to cue my mare, it shoots pain down to my heel.

I used to go all the time (like..once every week or two) because I'd get huge knots from cleaning stalls and need electro therapy to work out. However, I invested in my own little device so I can do it at home whenever I need.

I, personally, have only had positive experiences from the chiropractor.

Well, I guess all I can do is see what can be done. Glad you've had good experiences, maybe I'll have some too if I can scrounge of the money to go. I haven't had to clean any stalls in awhile, so I'm lucky there. I just ride for Nancy right now.