The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   choices, choices... which headstall (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/choices-choices-headstall-116306/)

mramsay 03-13-2012 05:54 PM

choices, choices... which headstall

6 Attachment(s)
I like both of these headstalls but can't decide which one to purchase, eventually I will be buying the matching breast collar (pictures also to follow and pictures of my gelding for reference). The saddle is inbetween the two colours, and I am am buyin a new SMX air ride saddle bad (Love Christmas giftcards!) But that is a whole nother can of worms... what colour? LOL. Both of these headstalls are made by weaver and appear to be of decent quality. I use a little s hack and just bought black mecate reins. The first is Weaver Texas Star, $115.00 and the second Weaver Austin, $90.00. I like the shape and style of the texas with the wider cheek and tapered browband, but dont like the chicago screws that hold the bit, I like the colour of the Austin better and the nice blingy buckles, more studs too, but the shape is a little more reserved, I really prefer the Austin breast collar... BTW the Austin is several shades darker than the Texas in reality. What do you think?

Tasia 03-13-2012 10:54 PM

I prefer the first heads stall, partly because my saddles sports the identical conches. My best advice would be check out your local tack store, I often find tack I like a lot better at the tack store, plus I can feel the leather.

myhorsesonador 03-13-2012 10:58 PM

The first one, It's made by weaver, you can buy it at tractor supply, AND my dog has the matching collar. :P

qh21797 04-25-2012 12:26 PM

I would go with the second set. It looks better made, and The breast colar is pretty different.
The first one is noce also, but you see it everywhere. I would go with something a little more different.:D

flytobecat 04-25-2012 12:34 PM

I like the second headstall the best, but don't really care for the metal piece on the matching breast collar.
I don't like the Chicago screws either.

TexanFreedom 04-25-2012 12:56 PM

I think your horse would look nice in something without a throatlatch. I ride in a browband headstall without the throatlatch because I lost it somehow lol. It holds and doesn't move, and I have no problems riding with/without a throatlatch.

midnighthighway 04-26-2012 01:57 AM

the second one looks good (: the breast collar is quite unique

Skyseternalangel 04-26-2012 02:16 AM

I don't like either of them..

I do like this one though despite it being kind of pricey.

- - Maverick Three Piece Tack Set by Weaver Leather

There is someone on FB that makes custom sets
http://www.facebook.com/magicscustomtack

franknbeans 04-26-2012 07:01 AM

I personally like the second set a lot. I am not big into the whole "stars" thing, but that is just me. I just think it is classier.

AndreaSctlnd 04-26-2012 08:28 AM

I liked number two the best. I think it has a lot more "bling". And not so country...if that makes sense?