The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Critique Feet? (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/critique-feet-116317/)

Lexiie 03-13-2012 08:12 PM

Critique Feet?

10 Attachment(s)
I can't remember when she was done last, but it was maybe the middle of Feb. Not my horse completely so I don't decide when her feet are done.
But my friend uses a barefoot farrier which I will be switching to (:

right foot first
then left
then rear

Lexiie 03-13-2012 08:14 PM

rear

4 Attachment(s)
Here's the back feet

MyBoyPuck 03-13-2012 08:34 PM

Ooh, let me try before the experts ring in so I can see if I'm learning.

Very first pic, about 1/3 of the way down, I see flare. Growth wants to come more straight down. Also the hairline slopes laterally indicating either more wear on the inside, or uneven heels? I can't tell from the heel pic. Don't have that good of an eye yet. Toe on right front is a bit long.

Left front, other than the last pic where the toe looks a bit long, I don't see anything bad.

Back feet. I'll be really interested to see what the experts say. All I see are butt cracks in the heel bulbs which usually mean contracted heels. Am I seeing that wrong.

Lexiie 03-13-2012 08:37 PM

I know her toes are flared and long. i hate it!
Her feet used to be perfect! She had never seen a farrier in her whole life. Perfectly even round feet, then I got shoes because my riding instructor suggested it and they grew back horrible.

MyBoyPuck 03-13-2012 08:49 PM

They're not that bad at all. Just keep on top of the flares and balance the hoof a little more and she'll be good to go. Was she sound when her shoes were pulled again?

Lexiie 03-13-2012 08:52 PM

completely. she was maybe a little sore, but i kept her off the rocks.
My friend has protective boots that she's allowing me to use, so I'm hoping to use those when we're on the trail/road just until her feet are a little harder.

THe weather has been super wet lately and it got hot and dry recently. Do her feet look dry at all? I think they do. But I'm afraid to put the moisturizer stuff on her because i don't want soft feet.

MyBoyPuck 03-13-2012 08:55 PM

They don't look that bad. I'm using Hoof Alive on my horse's feet when it's dry. It's like extra thick vasoline, so doesn't goop up the hoof like an oil would.

goneriding 03-13-2012 08:57 PM

Low soles...

Lexiie 03-13-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goneriding (Post 1406314)
Low soles...

can this be fixed?

loosie 03-14-2012 12:42 AM

Hi,

Her feet look reasonable. Without more info, not meaning this to be a judgement on the farrier at all, as it depends how long they've been attending, how frequently, what her feet were like before, what's happened recently, etc, etc. Not to mention possibly getting the wrong idea because of angle of pics, yada yada... which reminds me, that last front pic is actually the right again. But I'll tell what I see & what I'd *probably* do. Again, her feet are reasonable...

That right fore appears not very well balanced from side to side, being longer laterally. I would address the flares all round, esp that right fore lateral quarter. Front toes are stretched forward & while the horse has had the ground surface beveled a little, I'd make it stronger/steeper & start the bevel further back around the toes, continuing into the quarters, to relieve the walls from too much active weightbearing, until the relief can allow them to grow down tight. I'd also roll the walls more, rather than just beveling at the ground surface. Heels look perhaps a little long & underslung. Even if they are, they may need to be that high for now, depending on terrain, state of her frogs & DCs, etc.

Backs, from what can be seen look OK aside from the lateral flares not being addressed. Be good to see solar & lateral views of them too, to see if they're so shallow soled & if the toes are stretched as with the fronts.

Quote:

completely. She was maybe a little sore, but I kept her off the rocks.
My friend has protective boots that she's allowing me to use, so I'm hoping to use those when we're on the trail/road just until her feet are a little harder.

THe weather has been super wet lately and it got hot and dry recently. Do her feet look dry at all? I think they do. But I'm afraid to put the moisturizer stuff on her because I don't want soft feet.
First word above seems to contradict the next few. Interested to know how long she was shod for, as unless it was long term or badly done & very recent, I don't know that the shoes were a problem. I would definitely be booting her for now, for protection & support, on any but yielding ground. Perhaps with pads, to allow for more but comfortable use of her soles/frogs. I'd probably do this until her laminae/walls are tight & straight & her caudal hoof(frogs, DCs,..) stronger, not just until the horn hardens more.

Yeah, wet weather/environs can definitely make life hard for horse's hooves, so it's good it's dried out where you are & her feet do look nice & dry, tho the frogs still show evidence of the wet - maybe a bit thrushy. Hooves are built for dry environments & you're right not to put moisturiser or other goop on them. At any rate, the hoof capsules look solid & intact, which means that the impervious outer walls won't absorb anything anyway. Generally, dry is not a problem for hooves, unless they have a lot of wall damage, cracks, etc & if hooves appear brittle, peeling or otherwise 'too dry', this is due to incorrect nutrition &/or infection & other issues.

Quote:

It's like extra thick vasoline, so doesn't goop up the hoof like an oil would.
Vaseline sounds even 'goopier' to me than just oil actually. As it's a petroleum/oil product, I wouldn't be using this any more than any other oil or goop, except possibly to seal damaged horn in waterlogged areas(altho there are probs with doing that too).

As for can the low soles be fixed, IME yes, usually. Firstly, it does depend on the horse, environment, etc as to how deep or otherwise they 'should' be, but I agree they look a bit shallow. Getting the walls/laminae nice & tight & strong, allowing the hooves to function effectively, with the soles & frogs sharing the load(actually taking more at least until the walls can grow strong) & getting lots of *comfortable* exercise & good diet will allow her soles to grow thicker & if necessary, more concave.