The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Question on starting my yearling's in The round pen (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/question-starting-my-yearlings-round-pen-116422/)

LadyRichards 03-14-2012 05:51 PM

Question on starting my yearling's in The round pen

Yes I have two yearling's that I have just started in the round pen, I am doing leading exercises, leading, stopping, backing up, flexing the head, putting blanket on them, my real question is my round pen is 60' I am lunging them on a lung line is this OK and for how long should I do this and should it be done every day I am new a training and I don't want to do anything to hurt them this was there first day and they both did really good. And also should you ever reword with threats while doing this to get started.

tinyliny 03-14-2012 06:06 PM

Ok, here's my also non-trainer opinion;
If lunging, I would not go more than a trot, and for a short time. Are these coming two year olds? or young yearlings? I think there's a pretty big difference there.
I think rewarding with treats might not be such a good idea. Young horses are even more prone to impulsive action and might have a hard time not becoming too mouthy.

Now, let's hear from those that really ARE trainers.

LadyRichards 03-14-2012 06:15 PM

they are just turned year old, and Im not going to do the treats again, thought against that also. I agree with the trot but that is hard because they want to get out all the built up energy maybe I should lunge on a shorter line.

BlueSpark 03-14-2012 06:20 PM

also non trainer, but started lots of my own:

a couple laps is ok at a walk/trot, but i wouldn't do more then that. keep sessions short and possitive, you want them to have a good oppinion of work when you go to start them. Personaly i dont do much with them as yearlings except showing them the blanket and saddle and getting them well mannered with people. best to let them be horses as much as possible.

LadyRichards 03-14-2012 06:43 PM

Yes I think you are right I'm going to hold off on the lunging for right now just easy stuff for right now, I defiantly don't want them to hate work, but would like to hear more. Thank you all

Fargosgirl 03-14-2012 07:03 PM

Shorter lounge line means a smaller circle, and smaller circles are harder on young joints.

My opinion is let your horses decide how much work they do. If they want to play and use a lot of energy, let them, use it to your training advantage, but don't ever push them beyond what they want to do. Also, if you get the feeling they are over doing it, ask them to do slower exercises, like neck flexions and basic yielding.

Keep each session to an hour or less. IMHO, a young horse should NEVER drip with sweat after a lesson, I let my babies decide how active or how slow they want each lesson to be as long as they keep it within reason.

rob 03-14-2012 07:15 PM

a 60' pen is fine.just make sure if they do step into a lope or run that they are in the correct lead so it won't be a problem later.as for treats,leavethem in their feed tub for later.if they know you have them,they will come to the middle looking for them.

KissTheRing 03-14-2012 07:45 PM

Watch John Lyons Round Pen Training. Builds bonds and manners.

TimberRidgeRanch 03-14-2012 07:51 PM

Just turned a year old I certainly would not longe them at all I work solely on respect on the lead rope, loading/ unloading, bathing, clippers do some rope over the rump walk over tarps stuff like that. getting them to stand still is good. I wouldnt start working them on any longe line till they are 2 and then thats light stuff. Have to remember their mind set at this age. Think of the joints etc etc. If they are running all over the place when they go in the ring that right there tells you they are not ready for that stage yet.

Kayty 03-14-2012 08:11 PM

Like others have said above, I would hold off on lunging them at that age. There is no need for them to be lunged on a rein at this stage.

The most work I do running my yearling in the roundyard, is following some of the John Lyon's method. Just getting him to move away from me, stop and turn when I ask. I do that maybe once a week/fortnight at the most. Otherwise, all my work with him is about desensitizing, and having him move away from pressure at close quarters.
Running a yearling in circles regularly is going to make a good mess of their joints.