The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Critique and Compare Over fences and on the Flat (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/critique-compare-over-fences-flat-116456/)

Hailey1203 03-15-2012 12:56 AM

Critique and Compare Over fences and on the Flat

1 Attachment(s)
The photo is from our first show this summer, and the video is from tonight. We're only jumping 2' in both photos, because after that show i switched trainers because the one i was with wasnt helping me at all with my position.

Please compare and critique. Only critique the video though please!

=

PumpkinzMyBaby22 03-15-2012 06:07 AM

I don't see anything majorly wrong. Your basics are good!

The thing I see is that you are jumping slightly ahead of your horse. You need more bend in your knees and hips. Your crotch should be over the center of the saddle, and your legs at the girth.

I must say I like your release and your back! Keep working hard and you'll be looking great in no time. Hopefully some more experienced members will be able to extend in detail for you.

Hailey1203 03-15-2012 10:39 AM

Thank you! I will definitely work on it :)

LoveTheSaddlebreds 03-15-2012 12:14 PM

While I agree with most of what PumpkinzMyBaby22 said, I'll have to disagree with the part about the release. You don't have much of a release at all, it seems like you're keeping your hands planted to the neck and leaning forward over the jump. Think about moving your hands with the motion of the neck, grab mane a few inches up the beck before the jump, if it helps. Practice two-point at the walk, trot and canter with your hands out to the side (safest to do this on a lesson horse on the lungeline) and practice on keeping your legs still and forward. This will help with the problem you have with them slipping back. you can practice this over poles and little crossrails, too. Also, try counting aloud "3, 2, 1, JUMP," so you don't get ahead of the horse. I also found that counting a rhythm aloud "1,2,1,2" helps with keeping me waiting for the horse to jump, rather than strain to jump ahead for the horse.

Good luck!

Hailey1203 03-15-2012 12:37 PM

I do move my hands slightly forward, but my instructor said that because of the size of the jumps, i dont need to give a full release. Is this wrong? I dont feel like im pulling on his mouth over the fences, but i could be wrong.

LoveTheSaddlebreds 03-15-2012 12:51 PM

Your hands for this height may be alright, but since you're getting ahead of the jump, maybe it makes it look off? I think if your butt was about 5-6' back, it would seem better. Looking back, your hands to look alright, I think it's your upper body that made them look weird.

Overall, I think you're off to a good start. Keep it up! I think the two of you look like a good team :)

Hailey1203 03-15-2012 12:57 PM

Thanks! We've pretty much learned everything together, so we're far from perfect, but getting there. Im working on getting my butt back. The trainer i was with for almost 2 years never corrected my position (as you can see in the picture) so now im working on correcting this, which is harder then it seems!

tinyliny 03-15-2012 01:17 PM

From the video, are you staying in two point the whole time? It's kind of hard to tell. your body is very stiff, your leg is out in front of you and you end up slapping the saddle with your butt too much. Sorry, that sounds harsh, doesn't it?

I think your lower leg will be more stable if brought back some and if you are looser in the hip joint, so you can "move" in that area to absorb some of the motion, rather than having your whole body go up and down, bumping the saddle.

your hand is pretty steady, but it looks like, since your leg is tto far forward, tha you are balancing a bit off the rein.

your horse is absolutely a gem!

Hailey1203 03-15-2012 01:24 PM

As far as being looser in the hip joint, i actually cant. I fell off last winter, tore a bunch of ligaments and muscles in my right hip, and they healed wierd, and tight. As for me staying in 2 point, i am working on my half seat, not quite there yet, but its better then it was. I will definitely work on getting my leg back though :)

tinyliny 03-15-2012 01:56 PM

Well, my dear, though I can see that you are stiff there, this isn't to say I could do any better. I majorly suck at two point or half seat, but that's because I mostly ride dressage and trails western. So, take what i said with a grain of salt.

keep excersizing and stretching out that hip and be sure to strengthn the muscles that are the opposite ones than those you use to grip the hrose. if not, you get out of balance and can have back troubles.