The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   How much would you pay for color and chrome? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/how-much-would-you-pay-color-116521/)

AQHSam 03-15-2012 04:42 PM

How much would you pay for color and chrome?

This is a spin off from the negotiate thread. Instead of hijacking that thread, I thought I would create a new thread.

Is it typical to pay more for a horse that has nice color and markings? I'm not saying you would BUY based on color, but let's say...

There are two horses side by side. Both have the same level of training and potential. Both are sound. Both are up to date on all shots, shoes, wormings, etc. Both have papers. Both come from similar breeding profiles. Both have similar muscle and tone.

However, one is a weak colored buckskin with very little sparkle and the other is this incredibly colored buckskin with deep black markings on the legs and mane and tail. Hubba hubba coloring.

Would you expect to pay more for the snazzy one? Would you price the snazzy prettier one higher?

Country Woman 03-15-2012 04:50 PM

I would not buy a horse just for color
I would but for conformation, no vices, calm ie

Jumperforjoy 03-15-2012 04:56 PM

I know horses with extra chrome or more fancy coloring usually have a bigger price tag, in selling horses I have found it easier to sell the "fancy" colored ones faster then the "plain" ones with the same training but that being said I would not over pay for a horse, just because of color. I look for personality, attitude, and potential.

gigem88 03-15-2012 04:58 PM

If I clicked with the less snazzy, then I'd purchase it. If I clicked with the snazzier, I'd buy that one. But, I wouldn't pay any more! I'm cheap..I mean economical!!

redape49 03-15-2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Woman (Post 1409408)
I would not buy a horse just for color
I would but for conformation, no vices, calm ie

she's saying both horses are basically the same in all aspects except color.

redape49 03-15-2012 05:00 PM

Depends on what my plans for the horse are. If I want to get noticed and produce a 'wow' factor, then yes, I'd pay more for the snazzier horse providing they are identical in all other aspects.

smrobs 03-15-2012 05:02 PM

Given that both horses are buckskins, then no, I wouldn't pay a bigger price for one or the other.

If one was a very bland sorrel, then it would be reasonable to expect the buckskin to be a bit more expensive simply because it's a more rare color and more sought after.

If all other things were equal, I might pay a little bit more for a unique color with some flash. Not much, but a little bit.

BlueSpark 03-15-2012 05:07 PM

yes it is typical to pay more. if i could choose beween a good minded, sound, but ugly plain chesnut and a crazy chromed out grulla, it would be ugly all the way.

but if they were the same horse, one was plain the other fancy, you would pay significantly more for the color.

Cat 03-15-2012 05:39 PM

Everyone can go on and pay extra for those fancy colors. Helps those of us out who prefer the plain Janes and can get a better deal on them. :)

Dreamcatcher Arabians 03-15-2012 06:19 PM

I would expect the better colored buckskin to be priced higher because it would appeal more to the show crowd. If you don't need the extra edge the hubba hubba color gets you, then I'd buy the plain one and save some money. Since I show my horses, I'd buy the more expensive horse because the better color shows off his conformation and training better. It would get you noticed first by a judge.