The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Tack shops in alberta? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/tack-shops-alberta-116539/)

Ray MacDonald 03-15-2012 07:29 PM

Tack shops in alberta?

I am not sure if this would go here... So feel free to move it wherever :)

I will be going to Alberta on March 30th, what are some good tack shops I can go to?

I will bo going to Olds and Calgary I think.

I am looking for a Western Show shirt, Chaps, Spurs as well as some English clothing, like a nice pair of English boots.

My Mother has gone out there a couple of times to see family, and she said she couldn't find any English tack out there?

Also, what can I take back with me? Like if I find dewormer for a good price, can I take it on a plane?

HanginH 03-15-2012 07:59 PM

There are a few around but off the top of my head here are a few.
The Horse Store: Calgary western and English tack
Irvine's Tack and Trailer: located out by Carstairs which is between Calgary and Olds
Jones Boys is in Red Deer as well.

Good luck

Jumperforjoy 03-15-2012 08:01 PM

Not sure of around olds, but for the Calgary area, I highly recommend the tack collector, it's used tack, but great prices and tones of selection, mostly English but they do have some western stuff :-)

Welcome to The Tack Collector, where we provide riding equipment and clothing throughout Western Canada.

there is a couple high end English stores in the south of Calgary equi-products or horse-life.
Home page - Equi-Products - Expertise for the Equestrian
HORSELiFE: Saddlery & Riding Apparel

Haven't been but heard of Irvines tack and trailer, it's in crossfield and western
Irvine Tack and Trailers - Trailer sales, Saddles, Tack, & Western Clothing

There is Lammles :-p

I'm sure there is something in olds just not in that area!

Best of luck

Jumperforjoy 03-15-2012 08:04 PM

Haha duh I forgot the horse store, it's in NW Calgary and covers both English and western:

A link if needed:

Welcome to The Horse Store website based in Calgary, Alberta Canada

LValentina 03-16-2012 01:55 AM

If you're looking for Western stuff for sure check out Irvines Tack & Trailer near Carstairs, it's only about 20-30 minutes from Calgary on your way too Olds and it's one of the biggest tack stores in Canada. It's a sight to see, if nothing else.

There's also Frontier in Claresholm which is a bit more of a jaunt, an 1.5 away from Calgary, but instead of North, it's South. Also massive.. but not in the general direction you are going.

Aside from those two goliath western stores, I can't add much to what everyone else said... there's also a good 'ol Greenhawk in the SE just off of Deerfoot kind of near Douglasdale in the industrial area (I can't for the life of me remember the name of the area)

fromthismoment 03-16-2012 02:14 AM

Equi-Products is still open in Calgary I think. It's English mostly.

Ray MacDonald 03-16-2012 01:46 PM

Thanks so much :) I can't wait to go!

QHriderKE 03-16-2012 03:23 PM

Also, Frontier Western Shop in Claresholm has a bunch of stuff, and there is a bunch of random tack shops pretty much everywhere!!!

Ray MacDonald 03-17-2012 04:41 PM

Sweet! I wish we had ONE good tack shop where I live :(

Saddlebag 03-17-2012 05:55 PM

There used to be a huge shop out McLeod Trail between the tracks and the Trail. Not as far out as Southcenter. There was also a Lammle's close by. (Calgary)