The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   What is a hero? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/what-hero-116622/)

Missy May 03-16-2012 12:38 PM

What is a hero?

If every person that merely wears a uniform is a hero, then what would you call someone that saves a baby from a burning fire, takes a grenade to save his comrads, etc.,? Its like blasphemy to raise the bs flag on this insanity!! Give me a break! I noticed in the local paper where "heroes" (all police officers, firemen, military) would get cheaper tickets to some sports event....and they called it "heroes night". I just can't take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VT Trail Trotters 03-16-2012 02:22 PM

I agree, everyone *not everyone but close* thinks that heros are like people you named. Police, firemen, military people. My bro was in the military for years, hes not my hero though, that may sound bad but its true.

farmpony84 03-16-2012 02:30 PM

In my opinion:

The reason that a first responder such as a police officer, fireman, or an EMT would be called a hero is not because they put on a uniform and go to work or volunteer their time everyday but because they have made a solemn promise to the public and to themselves that should there ever be an instance where they might have to put their lives on the line in order to save someone elses, they would do it - no second thoughts.

With someone like a first responder - it is possible that they really could go through their entire career and never see danger but they could also lose their lives tomorrow. They also give up holidays and family time for the safety of others. Yes, a policeman may never save a life directly, but indirectly - they save many just by being their... Maybe a hero is a strong word but being in a law enforcement family with a husband that has been in Egypt and Afghanistan, a brother that is in Afghanistan, a sister in law that has been to Iraq, an ex brother-in-law that died in Afghanistan, a Grandfather and Father in Law that fought in not only World War II, but in Korea an Uncle that fought in Vietnam, a nephew who is in Iraq, and a Father who earned his purple heart in Vietnam... I think it's ok to call them heros.

We sure didn't mind calling them hero's when they laid their lives down on 9/11. Maybe because that was right here in our own backyards....

yadlim 03-16-2012 02:35 PM

My defination of a hero is simple. My daughter is my hero. I found out the hard way that my horse does not swim when we were playing in a river... and after he stopped trying to struggle back to the surface and I was exhausted from trying to haul him back to the surface by his breast collar, at eight years old my daughter waded out into the river and screamed his name over and over.

I managed to drag the limp horse to the surface one last time, he heard her voice and made a half hearted flop in her direction. It was enough that it got him close enough that she grabbed him by his forelock and pulled him to where his head was out of the water and then went back into the river after me... because by that time I was too tired to swim to shore. She grabbed me by my shirt and drug me up next to the horse in the shallow water.

It took hours for my horse and I to stand up and even longer to stumble home. Both of us had pneumomia, but both of us lived because an eight year old girl came and got us....

VT Trail Trotters 03-16-2012 02:36 PM

Let me make a edit! My bro isnt MY hero, to his kids im sure he is. It's awesome to have his as my bro and it means alot that he is.

farmpony84 03-16-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VT Trail Trotters (Post 1410945)
Let me make a edit! My bro isnt MY hero, to his kids im sure he is. It's awesome to have his as my bro and it means alot that he is.

We knew what you meant and I think you are talking about a different kind of hero when you say that. I think you are talking about the motivational kind of hero, the kind that makes you want to be a better person. Just because he is not that to you, doesn't mean you don't love him. We get that!:wink:

VT Trail Trotters 03-16-2012 02:41 PM

Ha ha, Pony i think you got what i mean. But theres people would get it wrong, cause hes a military guy and they'd be all mad. I get what you mean in the end, LOL.

Missy May 03-16-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farmpony84 (Post 1410938)
In my opinion:

The reason that a first responder such as a police officer, fireman, or an EMT would be called a hero is not because they put on a uniform and go to work or volunteer their time everyday but because they have made a solemn promise to the public and to themselves that should there ever be an instance where they might have to put their lives on the line in order to save someone elses, they would do it - no second thoughts.

With someone like a first responder - it is possible that they really could go through their entire career and never see danger but they could also lose their lives tomorrow. They also give up holidays and family time for the safety of others. Yes, a policeman may never save a life directly, but indirectly - they save many just by being their... Maybe a hero is a strong word but being in a law enforcement family with a husband that has been in Egypt and Afghanistan, a brother that is in Afghanistan, a sister in law that has been to Iraq, an ex brother-in-law that died in Afghanistan, a Grandfather and Father in Law that fought in not only World War II, but in Korea an Uncle that fought in Vietnam, a nephew who is in Iraq, and a Father who earned his purple heart in Vietnam... I think it's ok to call them heros.

We sure didn't mind calling them hero's when they laid their lives down on 9/11. Maybe because that was right here in our own backyards....

Well, I am a DAC, and there is no shortage of military service in my lineage or my family - or metals. I respect anyone that wants to serve their country - that is not the issue. However, calling all of them "heroes" is a dilution of the word, and a new one hasn't been coined to replace what the word "hero" meant up until shortly after 9-11.

Police, firemen, and citizens that "laid down their lives" on 9/11 are given the same status as someone that just got sworn in, or that has served behind a desk for 10 years, or that has never seen combat, etc., (i.e., "the status of hero"). So, yeah, I mind calling the later - heroes.

IquitosARG10 03-16-2012 02:55 PM

So are you implying that they shouldn't be recognized because of the sacrifices they make? I don't consider myself a hero by any means, but I serve along side them every day. I'm missing my daughters first steps and first words.

We don't just "merely wear a uniform"...there are a lot of ****ty people that serve in the military, but the fact that they sign their name on the line below stating that they will lay down their life for God, Country, Unit, and family...says a little something about hero to me.

IquitosARG10 03-16-2012 02:56 PM

So because someone sits behind a desk makes them less of a soldier? Huh...news to me.