The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Trainer won't let me jump! (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/trainer-wont-let-me-jump-116649/)

Equinegirl12 03-16-2012 06:30 PM

Trainer won't let me jump!

I recently transferred from one trainer to another because one had an indoor and the other never let me sit the canter. My new instructor won't let me jump. however my old instructor taught me how to jump to 2'3. I LOVE to jump and really miss it. Anyone know how to quietly suggest to an instructor that I want to jump?
Thanks

Speed Racer 03-16-2012 06:31 PM

She must have a reason for not letting you jump. Ask.

Equinegirl12 03-16-2012 06:34 PM

Thanks. I think I am going to change back to my old instructor, My new one is pushy and makes herself look better than i am at riding, She is but she doesn't really need to say it out loud.

Dressage10135 03-16-2012 06:36 PM

I would hope you're taking lessons from someone who is better than you. It might be a waste of time and money otherwise.

Ray MacDonald 03-16-2012 06:43 PM

My old trainer NEVER even talked about jumping... I have asked her tons of times that I want to jump... I have also asked her TONS of time that I want ENGLISH riding lessons... In an Actual English saddle... Still NO..

(Same trainer is the 4H leader)
I Signed up for 4H and chose English Horsemanship. We get to pick two disiplines, I chose Dressage and Jumping, but of course, she wouldn't let me go into jumping.. So she put me Road Hack....

Now, I got into Olds College and have to do a riding test. I haven't had a lesson from her since middle of December. It started warming up a bit and she STILL wouldn't give me a lesson...

So... I changed trainers. I now go to a nice Lady who puts me in an English saddle to do english! I also now take lessons from a Western trainer and we do Reining :)

I actually haven't been happier since I ditched her!

So, do what YOU want to do. Ask whyy swont let you jump or ask the other why you can't sit the canter?

justjump 03-16-2012 07:11 PM

I know of a barn in my area that will NOT let anyone under 18 jump over 18 inches and they won't let you jump period until you're 14+. I can understand not letting someone jump if they don't have the basic knowledge needed to jump a fence, but if you're a good solid rider on the flat and know the needed information and can apply the skills, then why not let someone start over little jumps? I've never understood that.

Sounds to me like you might need to switch to someone different then the two trainers you're with (or been with in this case). If you want to learn how to jump, then find someone who can meet your needs. But if the trainer does not think you're physically ready to jump, then I would take his/her word for it. If that makes sense :)

After all, you're the one paying the bills! Good luck to you!
Posted via Mobile Device

justjump 03-16-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Equinegirl12 (Post 1411248)
Thanks. I think I am going to change back to my old instructor, My new one is pushy and makes herself look better than i am at riding, She is but she doesn't really need to say it out loud.

If she's a professional, then of course she's better than you (not meant to put you down as a rider, hope it doesn't come off as that).
Posted via Mobile Device

Jumper12 03-16-2012 09:21 PM

yeah i agree, you should be okay with that fact that shes better than you, why would you ride with her if she wasnt? before kicking her to the curb id ask her why she wont let you jump, im sure there is a reason. perhaps she wants you to go back to the basics and work on flat for the first few lessons. cant hurt to ask. good luck

themacpack 03-16-2012 09:37 PM

Clearly the new trainer you are working with does not feel you are ready for jumping yet. Having a trainer who is willing to give in to your whims at the expense of your overall development may seem like a good thing to the instant gratification generation, but it truly isn't. You chose this instructor for a reason, no?

heymckate 03-17-2012 01:12 AM

I've seen some instructors teaching people to jump who had absolutely no business jumping. Their position was just not safe. As an instructor, I don't allow my kids to jump unless they have acceptable leg strength and position (which translates to acceptable balance). I would much rather keep a rider working on flat work safely than letting them advance too quickly and risking serious injury.

Now, I'm not saying you fall into the above category. I'm just illustrating that sometimes another instructor might have a reason for not giving you jumping lessons. Go ahead and ask her why she won't. You may be surprised at her answer, and it may make you a better rider in the end.

And about her being better than you... she's teaching you. Isn't that the point? :)