The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Strengthen Hind End (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/strengthen-hind-end-116654/)

girllovesdressage 03-16-2012 06:13 PM

Strengthen Hind End

My trainer is working my new OTTB in dressage 3 times a week. I am riding him on the off days with 1 to 2 days off. Today when my trainer was riding his stifle slipped slightly. He has never used his hind end in his previous career. We have been working on backing and circles etc. My trainer feels he needs to strengthen his back end. However, if he continues I will get my vet out to look at him.

Has anyone had this experience with an OTTB? I am worried about him. I am fearful it may be serious. I plan to work him light tommorow and give him a couple of days off. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

CurlyIsASpecialStandie 03-16-2012 09:02 PM

I have an OTSB and she had no bum when i first got her, serpentines, leg yields, circles and transitions have been really good in building her up. We still have a way to go but its defenently worth a go, start everything in a walk and build it up.

Hopefully his stifle will be fine though! Im not sure if that would affect how much he could do but i imagine it would so take it easy with him and like you said if he keeps doing it the vet might be worth a call!

girllovesdressage 03-17-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by girllovesdressage (Post 1411282)
My trainer is working my new OTTB in dressage 3 times a week. I am riding him on the off days with 1 to 2 days off. Today when my trainer was riding his stifle slipped slightly. He has never used his hind end in his previous career. We have been working on backing and circles etc. My trainer feels he needs to strengthen his back end. However, if he continues I will get my vet out to look at him.

Has anyone had this experience with an OTTB? I am worried about him. I am fearful it may be serious. I plan to work him light tommorow and give him a couple of days off. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Thanks so much! I am watching him closely. I may ride him lightly today and give him Sunday off. He is such a good boy I hate to see him uncomfortable. It is so hard to tell if he has an injury or just sore from a new work routine.

Piper182 03-17-2012 12:43 PM

It might also just be that he needs to build it even more. I had to bring back an OTTB from a hind end injury and the best thing in the world was walking and trotting up hills. The vet told me to start just walking, then to trot up and walk down. It really did work wonders on top of the same exercises you're doing. Good luck!

Allison Finch 03-17-2012 02:58 PM

Have the vet check the stifles before putting too much hard work there. There are some surgical procedures that can improve some stifle problems.

As for strengthening, I trot hills. I will trot slight slopes for a while (both up and down) moving on to steeper slopes as the fitness improves.

girllovesdressage 03-17-2012 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 1412267)
Have the vet check the stifles before putting too much hard work there. There are some surgical procedures that can improve some stifle problems.

As for strengthening, I trot hills. I will trot slight slopes for a while (both up and down) moving on to steeper slopes as the fitness improves.

Thanks for the advice. We live in Fl. therefore no hills:( I plan to take it very slow and see how he progresses. If he seems to be uncomfortable or does not improve I will have my vet check him.