The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Balance with Canter/Gallop? Videos (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/balance-canter-gallop-videos-116662/)

LadyScarlet 03-16-2012 07:10 PM

Balance with Canter/Gallop? Videos

Ok first I don't have a whole lot of experience with Cantering or Galloping more than what I have done within the last year. I mostly trotted and walked trails. Now I have a horse who loves to run and I love it but I am having trouble with the correct posture so I am keeping my balance. I feel like I am moving with him then I get off balance and almost fall. Am I doing anything obviously wrong?

Jumper12 03-16-2012 08:27 PM

i watched on the 1st vid. work on using your leg more to keep your balance. i dont know much about western but it looked awkward and tense when you were holding your hand so high. maybe shorten the reins a little and lower your hand. also it may be less bouncy for you in trot if you slow your horse down a little, im not saying like western pleasure jog or anything just not so rushy. good luck.

tinyliny 03-16-2012 11:05 PM

Cute horse. looks like fun to ride.

you are leaning forward too far and riding on your "fork" (your pubic bone and inside of your thighs). sit deep, sit back a bit, align your sternum over your pubic bone and kind of think of your "heart" as being the first thing that breaks the air as you go forward. I like that you are not balancing on the reins, though.

you might shorten your stirrups one notch, too. It looks like you are "fishing" for them.

trailhorserider 03-17-2012 04:20 AM

He looks like he has a pretty rough trot. If you could collect him up a bit at the trot (which should smooth him out a little) and then cue for the canter instead of letting him do a fast trot until he breaks into a canter that would probably help.

Did I make any sense? Sort of try to get a slower trot with a little rein contact so he doesn't trot you like a jackhammer, and then when you get him trotting pretty smooth, cue him for the canter.

I think it would be hard for anyone to ride that fast trot gracefully. So I don't think it's just you. I think you guys need a bit of collection.

chandra1313 03-17-2012 06:36 AM

I rode on a horse that as I asked for the canter she trotted faster and then went into the canter. I was just learning to canter so I looked just like you. Then I rode a horse that jumped into the canter and it was so much easier to ride and relax and look like I knew what I was doing lol

LadyScarlet 03-19-2012 02:18 PM

Thank you everyone for all of the suggestions, I can't wait to get on him and try a better Canter :) A lot of these I never thought of or realized I was doing, thank you everyone for the information!!!

mildot 03-19-2012 02:46 PM

Wow....

You're not going to like this but here goes.

Please pay for some riding lessons, even if it's one every two weeks or so.

Your horse is on the forehand (unbalanced), you are unbalanced (balanced riders don't need to hold on to the pommel during canters or down transitions), your cues are rough (slamming your heels into his flanks is not a good canter cue), and on and on and on.

And please don't try to gallop yet. You're just asking for a nasty fall then.

QHriderKE 03-19-2012 02:48 PM

Sadly, I'm agreeing with mildot.

mildot 03-20-2012 05:18 AM

If I had to pick one issue it would be relaxation. You look extremely tense, which is why you are bouncing off the saddle when you sit his trot and why you need to grab the saddle at the canter.

You need someone to teach you how to

a) Build a correct position on the saddle. It's a lot harder and there is a lot more to it than most think.

b) Learn how to teach your horse to use his back to support you. You don't just "collect it up a bit". Collection takes years to teach a horse. What you need from your horse is engagement of the hind end and connection of that energy through his back and into your hands. That is not achieved by yanking on the bit like I see so many do.

c) Learn how to move with the horse at all gaits. You don't just sit straight up stiffly and bounce around.

Hope that helps.

mildot 03-20-2012 07:06 AM

I forgot D) Be taught how to rise (post) the trot correctly.