The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Sport Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/)
-   -   TB Connemara Crosses (http://www.horseforum.com/sport-horses/tb-connemara-crosses-116672/)

ZooMare 03-16-2012 09:10 PM

TB Connemara Crosses

So we have one right now, a freak at 16.3hh who still manages to wear a 74" blanket. Skippy is awesome, although his conformation isn't awesome but he can jump the moon and loves his job as an event horse. Of course it helps that he is a Grange Finn Sparrow grandson.

Now we have a mare who we are strongly considering breeding to a Connemara, ArdCeltic Art. She is 17hh and her main fault is being a bit long in the back (she looks a lot like Zenyatta actually). The worry is that since we don't know her breeding, the foal could possibly a pony. I know there would always be some chance but how likely would it be for a larger Connemara crossed with a mare as big of hers to produce a pony? Really we want something around 16hh but I can ride a 15hh horse no problem so small is okay, just not exactly what we want.

IslandWave 03-16-2012 10:33 PM

Subbing to see replies. :)

I recently put a few months of training on a Connemara/Hanoverian mare. I loved the cross, she was talented (owner does eventing with her) and the perfect size for me, somewhere between 14.2hh and 15hh. I hope to have the opportunity to ride more of these Connemara crosses.

ButtInTheDirt 03-17-2012 06:26 PM

I would think if you bred two horses that tall that they wouldn't have a baby that would be very short. I would think that the foal would be taller than 15 hands easily, but I don't know much about breeding and whatnot. But think about it, the foal has to be tall enough to reach the mother to drink. I don't think unless you bred a miniature to a shire that nature would let that happen. Just my two cents as a novice, but good luck. I'm curious to see what others have to say.

Foxhunter 04-08-2012 08:48 AM

I would say that you would get more than a pony if she is that tall!

Very nice Connemara stallion you have picked. Like him a lot.

Tnavas 06-10-2012 06:27 PM

See if you can find out the height of your mares dam and sire - size often comes down to the height of the grandparents.

My 5yr old has a 16hh dam, and a 14.3 sire. He is 15.3hh

The grand sire on the mothers side was 17hh and the sire on the sire side 17.2hh

Foxhunter 06-24-2012 11:23 AM

Connemara Xs are one of the best.

There is no way to say for certain what height the offspring will grow to but it is doubtful it would be a pony. Even if it was it would still be worth a lot of money as a junior competition horse!