The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Trailer covers? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/trailer-covers-116678/)

With Grace 03-16-2012 10:14 PM

Trailer covers?

We just purchased our first trailer. A three horse Circle J. It's in beautiful shape, and I live in the rainy PNW.

Should we buy a trailer cover, since its sitting outside all year long, where it rains 90% of the year? Or if we cover it, will that just trap the moisture under the cover and make things even more moldy?

CLaPorte432 03-16-2012 10:21 PM

Subbing.

With Grace 03-18-2012 07:34 PM

No one covers their trailers???

Palomine 03-18-2012 07:37 PM

Your best bet is to get one of those carports, and use that. That will keep it the best I imagine.

But as for covers, while I see them on RV's and motorhomes, I have yet to see one put one over horse trailer?

equiniphile 03-18-2012 07:40 PM

I've been wondering about this as well. The ones in the Dover catalog look reasonably priced.

With Grace 03-18-2012 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palomine (Post 1413592)
Your best bet is to get one of those carports, and use that. That will keep it the best I imagine.

But as for covers, while I see them on RV's and motorhomes, I have yet to see one put one over horse trailer?

We keep ours at the barn, so one of those carports isn't an option for us...:cry: plus I live in one of the windiest places, those carport things blow over all the time here. My poor trailer...

I've seen folks cover their horse trailers, just not sure if in such a wet environment if it helps or hinders the mold issue...

PaintHorseMares 03-18-2012 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by With Grace (Post 1413604)
We keep ours at the barn, so one of those carports isn't an option for us...:cry: plus I live in one of the windiest places, those carport things blow over all the time here. My poor trailer...

I've seen folks cover their horse trailers, just not sure if in such a wet environment if it helps or hinders the mold issue...

Mold is not usually a problem, but unless you have an aluminum trailer, all that trapped humidity does tend to hasten rusting.

natisha 03-18-2012 08:04 PM

Covers can also have a tendency to rub the paint where it touches, usually at the edges.

With Grace 03-18-2012 08:10 PM

Hadn't thought about the paint rubbing where the cover hits it especially with all the wind.

PaintHorseMares - No joke, everything in Western Washington molds. We painted our fence last summer and it already has mold growing on it from the winter. Anything left outside ends up with a nice layer of slime on it each winter.

pony gal 03-19-2012 01:12 AM

I asked the dealer about covering my LQ when I bought it last yr and he said not to because of the wind blowing it and scratching it. He said they're made to withstand the weather. Fortunately, we have a pavillion like structure on our property it would fit under, so I have it under it.