The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Horse summer camp ideas (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/horse-summer-camp-ideas-116707/)

Piper182 03-17-2012 12:21 PM

Horse summer camp ideas

Hi everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any good horse-based activities for a summer camp. This summer will be my third year running a camp at the barn I work at. We have kids 7-14 and I'm trying to come up with some more activies for this summer.

The camp is only from 9 am -3 pm, but the kids tend to come 3 weeks to all 8 and I don't want them to get bored.

Previously, we've done horseless horse shows, water fights, pipe cleaner horses and others. I was thinking of adding silly awards to our end of the week show, but I can't think of names.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks so much in advance.

P.S. Some of our kids are dead beginners, but most have been taking lessons and can even jump around a fair sized course. We only have like 8 horses to work with though so I can't do trail rides unfortunately. Thanks again.

PumpkinzMyBaby22 03-20-2012 05:12 AM

You could do relay races, fun courses that get timed (like having to do bending, pick up a flag, put it on a barrel etc.) etc. You could do horseless dressage/ reigning tests/ courses depending on what discipline is ridden.

For awards: Most falls (if there are any - hopefully not :D), fastest times. Really anything that could go along with what you are doing.

Even how to dress up your horse for a show. How to do basic makeup and plaits?

Um..... yeah, I'm out of ideas :P If I have any more, I'll come back!

Good luck!

4HCountryGirl 03-21-2012 02:47 PM

You could try having a race to see who can touch the barrel first at a walk. Can they just walk/trot?

Piper182 03-29-2012 08:49 PM

to be honest i won't know what they can do until the first day. most kids are randomly new

LoveHipHop 03-30-2012 09:53 AM

Maybe you could include something like best turnout? Even if there aren't many horses, you could get kids to make up groups and they could work together on a horse to make them look nice :) Then you could have prizes for the showiest looking horse!

Or you could do something like a hunt, maybe for horsey items? You could leave them around the area and get groups to ride a horse out and look for them - whoever finds the most wins!

Whatever you choose, have fun :)

kait18 03-30-2012 10:34 AM

i really liked some of the ideas above me...

what if you asked for each child to bring in an old bed sheet of any color... and have them all decorate a costume for a horse... work on it a little each day during like an arts n craft time... use glitter, glue, paper, scissors, paint, blah blah...
and during the last week have a costume show and every kid has to dress a horse with there costome and have it be judged..

Jumper12 03-30-2012 11:25 AM

barrel racing/pole bending on foot or on horseback. walking races, trot pole course at walk/trot for riders who arent ready to jump, muscial freestyles are always fun even if you dont use horses. the kids can pick the music and the movements.

loveduffy 03-30-2012 11:34 AM

have them do the relay game with out horses so they can see it for the horse view - work on memory show them a course and the with out a horse do it

Paint pony 03-30-2012 02:13 PM

Can't go wrong with theme days...tacky tourist day, backwards day etc. Also lots of to do scavenger hunt with horsey clues. Dress up your horse anyway you like...bows, ribbons etc this is a good one to do with teams. Have the kids set up a course of jumps very very low and have the kids do the jumping, no horses. It's your horse for the day. Kids get to take care of horse as if it was their own, under supervision. Decorate horse shoes and have them make name plates of thier favourite horse, decorate it and take home to show parents. Thats all I got for the moment, hope it helps.

PumpkinzMyBaby22 03-30-2012 05:13 PM

Mr Wolf on horseback. Or green light, red light. You could do quizzes on horse care/ health/ riding for a lollipop or something.