The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Bitless bridles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/bitless-bridles-116762/)

melissa4horses 03-17-2012 11:31 PM

Bitless bridles

What are your opinions of bitless bridles. Have you used them before?

boldstart 03-17-2012 11:36 PM

Used them at TAFE for the general riding horses.
They were alright, save horse's mouth from new riders yanking on them.

Personally I perfer a bit in my horses mouth.
Other than that, hardly ever used them.

Country Woman 03-17-2012 11:40 PM

They are called hackamores here
I prefer to use a mild snaffle bit

Tasia 03-18-2012 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Country Woman (Post 1412784)
They are called hackamores here
I prefer to use a mild snaffle bit

No, not all bitless systems are hackamores. OP:I have rode very few horses in them, I just feel like I don't get as much connection with a horse compared to a bit. What are you using now? Also if you go to the search bar on this forum and look up bitless bridles you will get a lot of good threads.

Misty'sGirl 03-18-2012 06:51 AM

I've used one. I found it really useful because it helped myself and my horse learn to focus on leg and seat, instead of pulling at the mouth. And this is a horse I was told needed the harshest bit I could find because she was "out of control"... shows what hard work and a lot of mutual trust can do!

Cacowgirl 03-18-2012 05:41 PM

I've used hackamores & bitless bridles-my mare when I bought her didn't like a bit, but after riding her for a few years, she did take a little advantage- now she's fine w/a French link snaffle & we're both happy.

AvasMom 03-18-2012 07:18 PM

For my mare I prefer a bitless, I just use a bosal with mecate reins and love it.

Chiilaa 03-18-2012 08:23 PM

Like any other piece of equipment, bitless works better with some horses than with others. For some horses, it is the best head gear to use.

My problem with bitless tends to be with the people that use it and believe that it is "softer" and "gentler" than a bit. It's not. Bits are not "harsh" at all - hands are. Harsh hands in a bitless can do just as much damage as harsh hands using a bit.

Saranda 03-19-2012 04:16 AM

I ride my horse bitless only. Mostly in a rope halter, but I've tried a sidepull with a soft nose band and he responded well to it. I have no reason to put a bit in his mouth and I feel that both of us thrive from it. He is a 6yo, rather fiery and dominant gelding.

HippoLogic 03-19-2012 04:38 AM

I have used several different types of bitless briddles. I prefer the sidepull types, because of the quick release. But a horse has to respond to yielding for pressure first. I love the Vienna cavesson: it has a soft noseband and because its three rings is very multipurpose. One can use it for long reining, lunging, work in hand, leading and riding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1413653)
Like any other piece of equipment, bitless works better with some horses than with others. For some horses, it is the best head gear to use.

I agree. I prefer bitless as long as a horse is changing teeth and has a sensitive/sore mouth.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiilaa (Post 1413653)
My problem with bitless tends to be with the people that use it and believe that it is "softer" and "gentler" than a bit. It's not. Bits are not "harsh" at all - hands are. Harsh hands in a bitless can do just as much damage as harsh hands using a bit.

I don't think you can generalise like this. I don't mean to 'attack' you, but this is a common uses 'argument' on all horse fora in the world. I will specify what I mean. :wink: There a severe bitless bridles. I think immediately of the Spanisch cavessons with sharp iron edged directly on the nose, like this one (this is the noseband, look at the edges!)

http://www.laequitacion.com/attachme...ta_3p_pavo.jpg

and there a severe/harsh bits, like this one. I think this one will do the horses mouth damage, even with a softhanded rider. Softhanded riders shall not easily chose a bit like this I think.
http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com.../1/3/harsh.JPG.

The thin skin on the nose wich lies directly over the nosebone is indeed very sensitive and therefor is it not per defenition that bitless=soft.