The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

General Question

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  meggymoo 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I just joined the forum, and had a general question about horses; I plan on buying a ranch for me and a horse (the horse is for recreation, for me). Would 1-2 acres be sufficient enough space for him? The plan is to get everything custom made, so on the left of the property, about 500ft in, will be my house. And on the right, will be a large fenced area and shack for the horse. He will get more than 220 400 sq ft. of space (380 ft x 580 ft), including an accesible shelter for him, (about 20ft. x 20ft.) I would really appreciate some advice, I don't know the first thing about horses, but am really passionate about them. I'm really looking forward to it! Thanks :)

Nikki

#2 ·
can't remember where i read it, but somewhere said you should have at least 3 acres per horse.

i have two horses right now on ground less than 1/2 acre. that is just temporary and they have a big round bale of prairie hay to munch on, but they will be moving to a bigger pasture of 1 acre in the near future.

i think in most cases, it depends on the horse, the grazing land, and what they are being fed besides the grazing.

just my opinion.............

#3 ·
Lots of varibels here. What part of the country you in? Do you plan on feeding or just grazeing? Down here I feed year round so an acre here in the desert or the two and a half ac. I have up in the mountains is pleant of room for the 7 hd. I have. When i had the herd up in Wa. I had 20 ac. for them and I still had to feed in the winter. Sounds like your horse will be living in luxury the way you planed it.

#6 ·
Like I said, check with the state or area requirements, it may answer all the questions you have. Like Desert Rat said, there are so many variables. Even if you plan to feed grain, horses graze by nature. I can def. see a different in a horse who is feed hay versus one that is fed both or is allowed to graze. I would also check the land after a good rain fall. The natural water flow is an area many not provide a sufficient area for grass growth, may fill in certain areas or flow to the barn/ house, ect.

#7 ·
depending on where you are a acre per horse is good enough but the more you have the better it is.....it's crule if less.........my sister inlaw keep's 4 horses in 3 36 x 36 ft pen's and never takes them out and she think's it's fine to keep them like that

#8 ·
Over here in the UK, they say its best to have about 2 acres per horse. I suppose its so you can split it and give so much a rest etc But I know people who keep two or more horses on a lot less.

It sounds to me, as if you've thought it all through well and if you're able to manage it well, I think you will be fine.

Good luck :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.