The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Getting trailer painted? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/getting-trailer-painted-116835/)

Palomine 03-18-2012 07:47 PM

Getting trailer painted?

I've got a Sundowner, '97 2H GN slant, stock combo steel trailer. Bought it used in 05, has good sized tack room and pulls great, but needs painting and sandblasting of course.

Been talking to several places that do this, one only could paint, so would have to haul it and have sandblasting done somewhere else.

Paintng alone is around 3000, and haven't gotten sandblasting price as havent' gotten back up me after called, so not wanting to deal with him.

Did take trailer and have man quote, 5-6000, that includes sandblasting, painting with best paint there is, and also putting the bedliner as is used in pickups on inside of tack room, front of trailer under spare tire, and on top of fenders, and LED lights to replace the ones on there now, and vinyl decals.

Also wondering about spraying it in horse area on walls?

Any thoughts? I am planning on keeping this trailer until I die, and will be putting it under a carport to keep it pristine, as it has not been under one, probably ever? And I've priced trailers, and for what this one is, I am still looking at 6000 and up, AND those all need paint too.

Joe4d 03-18-2012 07:55 PM

sell it, take that money and your 6 k and buy an aluminum trailer. I wouldnt spend 6ooo to BUY a 15 year old stock trailer.

Cowgirls Boots 03-18-2012 08:07 PM

125 Attachment(s)
Again joe she asked about opinions on having her trailer painted not opinions about selling her trailer...
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 03-18-2012 09:07 PM

the op asked any thoughts, I gave her mine. My opinion is to sell it and buy aluminum.

Skipsfirstspike 03-18-2012 09:41 PM

Wow, that's a lot of money. I have to agree with Joe on this one. If you have $6000 to spare, I would see if you could get $5000 or so for your trailer, then you have $11000 for a nice aluminum.

AmazinCaucasian 03-18-2012 10:02 PM

It takes 39 cans of rattle can spray paint to cover a 36' soft top stock trailer.

It'll last about 5 years, which is as good as the cheap job most manufacturers put on em

Darrin 03-19-2012 12:03 AM

That kind of money would pay for a pretty decent paint job on your pickup and is not needed for a trailer, where you took it for a quote is picking your pocket. Take it to small, independent shop or a place like Maaco that advertises cheap paint jobs. Should be $400-$500 and will last a good 5+ year. Paying someone to put in bedliner should be around the same so ~$1000 to spruce up your trailer.

If you feel adventerous you can buy a compressor, paint gun and paint. You'll be in it ~$300. Read up on the net on how to prep and paint and do it in your driveway. Yeah you'll have some dust in the paint, runs and orange striping but hey it's a horse trailer. I doubt anyone is going to complain unless you hang out with a bunch of snobs.

As for areas you want bedliner, hit up your local auto parts store and buy the DIY stuff. Cost $90-$100 around here for enough to do a pickup bed. All told you should be able to do the complete job for $500 or less yourself. When done you'll have an air compressor that is handy for all sorts of projects and a paint gun. Even more, you'll have learned a whole bunch of stuff and have pride in doing it yourself.

As for spending $6k on your trailer, I wouldn't even consider it. You would be quite near being able to purchase a brand new steel trailer for that much.

DrumRunner 03-19-2012 12:31 AM

Good Lord, There is NO way I'd pay that much for my trailer to be repainted..I'm actually looking to do this in the near future and I've looked into it..If I buy the paint and help sand blast it it's going to cost me $150 in labor, and then whatever the paint costs me.. Would I pay $6000 for a trailer to be repainted? No way, I can put the $6000 with what I got from selling the trailer and buy a NICE aluminum trailer..They are MUCH lighter than steer and pull better..Just my two cents..

ls6firebird 03-19-2012 12:39 AM

ive painted a few flatbed trailers with john deere equipment paint. you can get a good enough paint gun from harbor freight. i used a $15 dollar harbor freight gun that i usually use as a primer gun.

you can rattle can it, but you can get set up with a budget paint gun set up and end up not spending that much more, and could possibly be cheaper. plus the paint will be thicker than the spray paint.

like said above, you'll have a little dust and some runs in it, but it can be done without spending thousands.

heres a link to the john deere paint. this is also good paint for a beginner, because its pretty thick (not the rattle can) so it wont run near as easy as a lot of paint.
John Deere Paint

waresbear 03-19-2012 12:53 AM

Painted this trailer for less than $100, rustoleum paint & sprayer. Sanded it with a power tool attachment. $5000 is way too much to invest in a 15 yr old trailer.
http://www.horseforum.com/attachment...icture-090.jpg