The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Seeking feedback on Midwest Walkers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/seeking-feedback-midwest-walkers-116846/)

Normal Guy 03-18-2012 09:11 PM

Seeking feedback on Midwest Walkers

Over the past several months, I have noticed several horses for sale via HorseClicks.com and EquineNow.com from a seller called Midwest Walkers located in Mt. Vernon, Missouri. Midwest Walkers does not seem to have a website. Wondering if anyone has ever purchased a horse from this group or knows of anyone else that has? Wondering how reputable this horse seller is? Thanks!

pennylope 03-29-2012 09:07 PM

It is my opinion only, that Midwest Walkers is the name associated with a seller named Kristy King. She has also been associated with puppy mills in that area.(Southern Missouri) If you google her name you will see complaints about her.

After the complaint surfaced she seemed to dropped off the net, or if she was pictured with the horses the price was dropped. I think I recognize some of the horses back online, now riderless, back up to the higher price. When I first started looking for a horse, I emailed her because the phone number given didn't work. She finally did email me back but the horse was gone. If you notice all of the ads sound very similar, i.e. perfect horse.

This is all just what I've gotten off the internet, from looking for a horse for myself. There are a lot of scammers out there. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Buyer beware.

Normal Guy 03-29-2012 09:51 PM

Thanks for the candid feedback pennylope. I sensed that this seller was not completely legit. Based upon this info., I will steer clear.

roger 04-04-2012 10:50 AM

We bought 2 walkers from Kristy last fall and had them shipped to california,we could not be more pleased with them,my kids love them.

horsemomoftwo 04-28-2012 07:14 AM

Horse puchased from Kristy King

I just last week purchaed a black TW from Midwest Walkers in Mt. vernon. I hope the things I have read on here are untrue. Before going to see the horse and having a pre prchase vet exam done I had explained to Kristy that I had had a serious accident 1 month prior on another horse I own. I had broken my neck my back 4 ribs and a punctured lung. While talking with her I made it very clear to her that I wanted a gaited horse as I own a quarter horse now. She assured me that Magnum was a safe sound horse. I was not able to ride him so I watched her. I did try but just couldn't physically or emotionly. At this time I am intimidated and a little unsettled but will ride again. She knows all of this it was brought to her attention from the very begining. So far we are having some trouble with his ground manners and I have not had anyone on him yet hopefully today. I would really be very upset if something would happen to the ridder. If I have to put one dime into his training Kristy will here from me lets hope thats not the case.

Normal Guy 04-28-2012 09:13 PM

Horsemomoftwo, Here is a link to a website that you might want to check out. I hope that Magnum turns out to be a good horse. Given feedback provided by Roger, Midwest Walkers does sell some good horses.

Ripoff Report | Kristy King | Complaint Review: 850861

pennylope 04-30-2012 12:08 AM

Hi Horsemomoftwo,

I hope your horse works out too. I found a wonderful horse from a local person that many people recommended. He's a great horse but no horse is perfect and we are working on getting to know each other and me becoming as good as he is. Through my own stupidity I fell off and pulled a muscle so am doing clicker training from the ground while I recuperate.

I'm no expert but i would groom and work on ground manners then when you do ride him, do it in an arena. If you aren't ready to ride him I would have and experience trainer ride him at least once (soon) to give you his opinion. I would rather get the low down on the horse sooner that later, so you can deal with it if you've been ripped off.

Gaited horses are like the Golden Retrievers of horses. It sounds like you need a kind and close friend to work with you on baby steps to get back in the swing of being around horses, or maybe a few lessons on a super safe lesson horse. If you aren't phyically able to ride at this time I would spend it bonding with the horse through grooming and clicker training. (Buy a book to find out about it. It's fun and useful) If you never ride again, you can still enjoy horses from the ground.

I hadn't ridden in many years when I got my horse and I have a LOT of catching up to do. Relearning is a bit nerveracking but also fun. I took a couple of lessons and tried out about three horses before I found the right fit. And I do enjoy grooming and the clicker training as much as I enjoy the trails.

It's disconcerting that there are so many people out there who will do anything for money. Keep us posted on how things are going with you and Magnum. Good luck!