The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   mare shedding question??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mare-shedding-question-116849/)

bjb 03-18-2012 09:37 PM

mare shedding question???

My mare is extremly fuzzy from the winter. Her winter hair is literally twice as long as the average horses winter coat. She's not even started shedding yet and the temperature is getting close to 80.
She sweats just standing around. Is there anything I can do to help her start shedding? Or should I shave her?
Posted via Mobile Device

JSMidnight 03-18-2012 09:41 PM

If you have blankets for her I would say clip her, but if you don't have a few blankets I would just try to brush her as much as possible.

Endiku 03-18-2012 09:42 PM

I would go ahead and shave her, then take a good look at her nutritional intake. She may be missing something in her diet that is causing her to keep her coat, and if that's the case you should be able to find out if she has a deficiency through a blood test.

Jumper12 03-18-2012 10:05 PM

what age, breed, and body type is she? you might consider having the vet see if she has cushings or another disorder if this is her first time with this problem as some health issues like cushings can lead to horses not shedding their coat on their own. i dont mean to scare you but it is something to think about!

bjb 03-18-2012 10:12 PM

Shes only three, average body type. She is healthy in all other areas. ....she did have a bad case of rain rot last fall ( it was going around the farm, first time it ever happened like that.) Does anyone think that could have an effect? I'll keep an eye on her and if things dont change soon I'll definatly be considering having the vet out
Posted via Mobile Device

bjb 03-18-2012 10:17 PM

Oh yeah shes a Paint horse
Posted via Mobile Device

Jumper12 03-18-2012 10:25 PM

idk but i think that would be young for cushings and its prob a good sign she seems otherwise healthy. i know a horse with cushings who is super fuzzy and doesnt shed well but also has a lot of other health issues associated with it.you could at least call the vet and ask if they have any ideas about why she wont shed out! is it unusually warm where you live this year? i know it is here and the horses coats keep starting to shed and stopping and starting again like they cant figure it out this year!
hope she starts shedding soon!

bjb 03-18-2012 10:33 PM

Yes the weather here is insane! Its usually still cold. Im probably just being an overly concerned mommy! I just feel bad because she's obviously hot and most of the other horses are shedding a lot and have much lighter winter coats. Crazy little girl
Posted via Mobile Device

Kato 03-19-2012 08:53 PM

My 4 year old Morgan is like that...long this coat that you can lose your hand in. She is just now starting her shed....much later than everyone else. Try adding some apple cider vinegar to her feed. I find it helps.

CLaPorte432 03-19-2012 08:59 PM

893 Attachment(s)
The weather has been in the 70's and 80's here for weeks and my horses haven't started shedding yet. I can't tug my Mustang/Curly's hair and nothing comes out and he gets a super long and thick coat. It's 4 times and long as my mare's. His hair length is from what breed(s) of horse's he has in him.

My Curly isn't shedding either.

A lot of shedding isn't caused by heat though, it's by the amount of daylight and since we are just getting longer days now, they'll start shedding soon, and I'm dreading it.