The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Bald Face horse watery eye? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/bald-face-horse-watery-eye-116905/)

ichliebepferde 03-19-2012 03:20 PM

Bald Face horse watery eye?

Hello All!
So my Patchy is a bald face horse with a white eye. It waters often and I wipe it everyday with a wet rag, I also keep a fly mask on him to stop any sunburn. My question is, do they make any type of eye medicine to keep his eye from watering? I have heard a lot about the Tattooing the black around the eye to keep the sun from reflecting off the white, but I do not want to do this.

Lakotababii 03-19-2012 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichliebepferde (Post 1414503)
Hello All!
So my Patchy is a bald face horse with a white eye. It waters often and I wipe it everyday with a wet rag, I also keep a fly mask on him to stop any sunburn. My question is, do they make any type of eye medicine to keep his eye from watering? I have heard a lot about the Tattooing the black around the eye to keep the sun from reflecting off the white, but I do not want to do this.

Heck my horse is all black and he has watery eyes. I do not think I would invest in any tattooing or any sort of medication on something so trivial. Honestly, and not trying to be rude or anything, but I would just keep wiping and be happy he doesn't have something more serious wrong with him. He's happy and healthy with a slight watery eye problem, I would just wipe it when necessary and not do anything else. What if the medicine has side effects? Tattooing around an eye is also dangerous business, and could cause more serious problems.

ichliebepferde 03-19-2012 04:12 PM

Thanks, and yes that's why I said I am not interested in tattooing :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Lakotababii 03-19-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichliebepferde (Post 1414580)
Thanks, and yes that's why I said I am not interested in tattooing :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah I figured :wink:

The only things I would suggest for the issue you seem to already be doing. The one thing that may help is washing or rinsing your fly mask. If there is dirt in there, it may get into his eyes and cause them to water more than usual.