The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horse won't stand still and runs (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horse-wont-stand-still-runs-116932/)

weluvhorses 03-19-2012 06:26 PM

Horse won't stand still and runs

ok - thanks in advance -
I take care of a couple of horses and one day the owner had one tied to the tree and the horse was pulling back - so much so that it lost hair from rubbing raw--- asked and was told that the horse was acting and it was going to be tied until it stopped pulling.

now - when I go to gather horse with halter and or tack - it will not come and runs away...

please help

this was never a problem before but I do not know what to do --

again this is not my horse but I feed and clean stalls and ride them....
I have not offered treats to make it come...

palominolover 03-19-2012 06:42 PM

Make him move. If he runs from you make it seem like it was YOUR idea. Do not back down until he faces up with you. If he runs when you walk towards him after he faces you, keep him going. Make him move until he realizes that running from you is a bad idea, and that it gives him work. Good luck :).

weluvhorses 03-19-2012 06:46 PM

thanks
I did just that - kind of like lunging him but I did not stick with it until he came - I just left him out there--- was that a bad thing? learned behavior...? lunged him for about 10 minutes - just as described if he stopped i "hupped" him on - then left...
but I did try once again to halter him and decided against because he was going to repeat the run...

DressageDreamer 03-19-2012 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palominolover (Post 1414883)
Make him move. If he runs from you make it seem like it was YOUR idea. Do not back down until he faces up with you. If he runs when you walk towards him after he faces you, keep him going. Make him move until he realizes that running from you is a bad idea, and that it gives him work. Good luck :).

That works every time with my horses. I will run them until they stand still and let me walk up to them. Once it isn't "their idea" anymore, it isn't as much fun for them :lol: They get an attitude change pretty quickly.

GreySorrel 03-19-2012 07:11 PM

I don't know, I have a different take on what is being said. I think the horse is more afraid of what is going to happen to him as the OP doesn't know what they did to the horse prior to her getting there or how it was treated or handled or what discipline was given or used. To me, sounds more like the horse is exhibiting trust issues and is scared and/or worried about what will happen should it be caught again...

OP, can you take something out that the horse likes? An apple, a bit of grain in a can or a carrot? Show that you are not out to harm it or "teach it a lesson" and go from there? Is that possible?

Good luck.

palominolover 03-19-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weluvhorses (Post 1414887)
thanks
I did just that - kind of like lunging him but I did not stick with it until he came - I just left him out there--- was that a bad thing? learned behavior...? lunged him for about 10 minutes - just as described if he stopped i "hupped" him on - then left...
but I did try once again to halter him and decided against because he was going to repeat the run...

Be consistent. Don't stop. You taught him from that that he can get away with it. He knows you left halfway through. Work extra hard and stick with it. He'll learn pretty fast that you are in charge.

SarahK 03-20-2012 07:59 PM

I agree with palominolover. Just stick with it. People tend to give up too soon. Success is just around the corner.

Is there a round pen you can use? After you do get him caught. A lesson in joining up could really help cement the idea that being with you means rest.
Step 1: Establish a direction and get his feet moving.
Step 2: Get consistent changes of direction turning in towards you. You do this by stepping in front of the drive line (imaginary line where the girth would be) and backing up (quickly). If he turn into the fence cut him off and really hustle those feet. When he turns in reward that by letting him slow down for about half a circle.
Step 3: When he runs out of steam and is looking for a rest step in front and when he looks at you turn and walk away. When he follows spiral into the center. He may not come all the way up to you the first couple times. That's okay as long as he is facing you. Let him get his breath back for a minute then walk up to him (Look at the ground like you are searching for your keys and zigzag back and forth.) using approach and retreat. When you get up to him rub and love on him. Let him think being with you is the best place in the world to be.

In the beginning of my liberty video I use the same techniques in a bigger pen. If you would like a visual.

Stick with it. Good luck.

Northernstar 03-20-2012 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreySorrel (Post 1414925)
I don't know, I have a different take on what is being said. I think the horse is more afraid of what is going to happen to him as the OP doesn't know what they did to the horse prior to her getting there or how it was treated or handled or what discipline was given or used. To me, sounds more like the horse is exhibiting trust issues and is scared and/or worried about what will happen should it be caught again...

OP, can you take something out that the horse likes? An apple, a bit of grain in a can or a carrot? Show that you are not out to harm it or "teach it a lesson" and go from there? Is that possible?

Good luck.

This is an excellent suggestion once the trust and respect issues are established! Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the situation - sounds like you're being patient, and that's what it takes :)