The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help, Apophysis just found in my 11 Month old! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-apophysis-just-found-my-11-a-116958/)

samg4813 03-19-2012 10:25 PM

Help, Apophysis just found in my 11 Month old!

1 Attachment(s)
So I bought a rescue off a feed lot, knowing that its risky buying a horse with no history I know of and all that. Which was fine I wouldnt be shocked if something was wrong, kind of. Anyway I got him when he was 7 months had a vet check as healthy as could be. So we have him on a grass pasture with three other gelding right now. He gets 1 scoop of stable miz pellets a day, and a flake of grass hay a day. He has never been in a stall of night let alone been in one for more than an hour. We use clinton anderson methods at our ranch. I do some light round pen work with him, pressure, and desesitizing for now. The farrier came out to trim his feet for the first time today, he did AMAZING. But there farrier looks at me and says he has apophysis. I was like what the He** is that?! he told.. anyway his knees are swollen and his pasterns too. I had no idea.. She said it will stunt his growth and all this other scary stuff. But she said I could help and so I took him off the grass pasture put him in the dirt lot were I will continue to feed normal. My trainer said to give him grow colt but the farrier said no supplements and to just do lots of trotting work with him. I will get a second opinion from the vet but so far I have heard keep him in a big open area and don't let him in a stall. Any opinions will work, please help!! I put a picture from today you can kind of see his knees.. ( I think i put a photo at least)

calicokatt 03-19-2012 10:38 PM

The definition of Apophysis that I've been able to find is not what you are describing. Interested to hear what people say....

samg4813 03-19-2012 10:42 PM

I meant Epiphysitis

EPIPHYSITIS!!! SORRY its been a long day cant figure out how to edit it!

samg4813 03-19-2012 10:45 PM

EPIPHYSITIS!!! SORRY its been a long day can't figure out how to edit it!

calicokatt 03-19-2012 10:47 PM

This is what I found:
The growth plates located at each end of the long bones are also called epiphyseal plates. An inflammation of these growth plates is called epiphysitis and is characterized by swelling near the ends of the bones. Although the youngster may be lame during the active phase of epiphysitis, the lameness diminishes once the area ossifies. The area will often be permanently enlarged leaving the youngster with knobby knees or ankles. Epiphysitis usually affects weanlings and yearlings, however it may affect horses as old as 2-1/2 years of age.

Your veterinarian will probably suggest some changes to your youngster's diet and will probably prescribe stall rest for four to six weeks. She may also suggest changes in the way the youngster's feet are trimmed. The dietary changes often include a reduction in protein and reduction or elimination of grain and concentrates.

So I would say until you talk to your vet, don't do any exercise with him....

Cat 03-19-2012 10:53 PM

I would hold off until you talk to your vet as well. I had a farrier try to tell me one of my horses we had several years back had "swollen knees" as he called it - my vet said he was full of it.

Super Nova 03-19-2012 11:02 PM

Is your guy overweight at all as that can be an issue......you usually like to keep youngesters lean. My guy got a little heavy and had the same issues but once I cut back and he dropped his extra weight he was fine......but he was not lame and had no pain so no stall rest.

Super Nova

samg4813 03-19-2012 11:45 PM

hes being castrated on april 2 and wolf teeth out then, so ill know his full weight and height prefessionally and not just me trying to guesstimate haha yeah i took him off the grass pasture so he is just getting a scoop of pellets and a flake a day. no grain no supplements. and hes know on the dirt pasture

trailhorserider 03-20-2012 01:59 AM

I thought the modern theory is that epiphysitis is caused by a nutritional imbalance, not excess calories or protein as previously thought. (Try Googling it). I know I did some research on it one time because I am raising my first foal.

I'm not so sure a vitamin/mineral supplement wouldn't be a good idea. Nothing major, just something to make sure he isn't lacking any vital nutrients. I've been giving my guy ShoGlo by Manna Pro. Not the most expensive thing in world and it can be bought at Walmart. I put a couple scoops into 1/2 a small coffee can of Purina Strategy or oats.

My guy has always been big, from the time he was born, and knock on wood, no epiphysitis issues and he is almost 2 years old now.

I used to feed about a 50/50 mix of alfalfa/bermuda hay, but unfortunately my feed store went out of business so I am feeding straight alfalfa. No pasture grass because we don't have any. I think a 50/50 grass/alfalfa mix is pretty close to ideal.

You might want to make sure he at least has some grass hay in front of him most of the time so he has something to chew on. Otherwise they can take to eating dirt.

samg4813 03-20-2012 02:14 AM

Yeah this is my first baby too. The only thing is if i were to give him hay to munch on during the day he wouldn't be able to cause the other boys would just take it right out from him. hes the youngest at our barn. and he is learning respect from the other guys its good. but dang i wish i could just give him some hay to nible on all the time