The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   Need ideas for keeping dust down in arena (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/need-ideas-keeping-dust-down-arena-117013/)

NicoleS11 03-20-2012 10:58 AM

Need ideas for keeping dust down in arena

Im just looking for different ideas on keeping dust down in a indoor arena. Our footing is great but very fine so after getting more than 2 horses in there you can barely see the other side of the arena so we gotta do something about it.

Water is the obvious answer. When the owner built this arena for some reason he decided to only put in a 1Ē line to bring water into the arena so there is a faucet in the corner of the arena but it takes 3 hours to do it properly and thats time I donít feel like wasting once a week. Plus it gets cold here during the winter and it freezes if your not careful. Our arena isnít insulated or heated yet.

So my questions is, what other resources can we look into?

Thanks

CLaPorte432 03-20-2012 11:03 AM

The barn that we use for starting young horses for us brought in beach sand to use as their footing. There is absolutely no dust...EVER! They said it's the best investment they've done to improve the barn.

A friend of mine mixed sawdust with the dirt that they have in their indoor. She said it helped, but I've never ridden in it so I can't say for sure.

mls 03-20-2012 11:20 AM

We use calcium chloride.

Jacksmama 03-20-2012 11:23 AM

The barn I board at uses one of the large, tall tripod sprinklers that spins around, takes a lot less time than doing it by hand.

NicoleS11 03-20-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1415832)
We use calcium chloride.

This is what I wanted to try. I dont know alot about it. Does it come in like liquid or a powder or what? How do you apply it?

NicoleS11 03-20-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacksmama (Post 1415840)
The barn I board at uses one of the large, tall tripod sprinklers that spins around, takes a lot less time than doing it by hand.

Since the water line is so little there isnt enough pressure to use a big sprinkler. Thats what we have right now but you have to move it every 10 minutes. It sucks in a 200x100 arena..

verona1016 03-22-2012 03:24 PM

My barn has overhead sprinklers throughout the arena. You just open the valves and the sprinklers go until you close them again (there are a few so you can do part of the arena at a time if someone is using the other end) However, I suspect that in your case that would probably take a pretty big investment to get a bigger water line put in, in addition to getting the sprinklers installed.

Joe4d 03-22-2012 04:12 PM

know anybody that works for a transportation department or runs draw bridges ? I work on a ferry boat and our ramp hydraulic systems use basically corn oil. We change it once a year and end up with a couple hundred gallons of used corn oil. The oil turns acidic over time and one of our engineers tested it said it was not suitable for making bio diesel. It is relatively enviro friendly. Thats why we use it in hydraulic systems over water. Here in VA any hydraulic sytems used over or around wetlands that gets a state contract uses it.

wetrain17 03-22-2012 04:17 PM

ThorTurf - Synthetic Dustless Equestrian Surfaces - Bringing Science to the Surface

Saddlebag 03-22-2012 09:40 PM

Engine oil from an oil change. Some garages are happy to get rid of it.