The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Other forums (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/other-forums-117040/)

missnashvilletime 03-20-2012 02:44 PM

Other forums
 
So I joined this forum on yuku awhile back and they weren't friendly in the least! For some odd reason I decided I'd do another post, luckily no one has gotten overly rude (so far). But I mentioned that I was showing my colt in halter (for the experience, if he does well then that's just a bonus). Anyways, they were saying how he's small for a two year old, and he'd never win at halter. Which I agree he's small for a 2 year old halter horse as I'm not feeding him nor pushing him to reach a mature weight early (I do want to ride him after all and not founder him with excessive weight at an early age). But to say he'll "never" win? I find that kind of harsh, it depends on his competition and his conformation not to mention he might get more halter-y when he's older! lol I'm not doing big breed shows just the local AQHA shows so if he does do well (place) he'll get AQHA points. Anyways, are you guys part of any other forums? What do you like or dislike about the others? (:

Cat 03-20-2012 02:49 PM

Small local shows tend to be wildcards from what I've seen and its really a mixed bag on who wins. Now the larger shows - those tend to be more consistant. And the experience for the horse is never anything to discourage - even if you don't win, the experience for him will give him a good start for his future career.

Bridgertrot 03-20-2012 02:52 PM

I think they're just jealous of Chets sexiness.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dreamcatcher Arabians 03-20-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missnashvilletime (Post 1416122)
So I joined this forum on yuku awhile back and they weren't friendly in the least! For some odd reason I decided I'd do another post, luckily no one has gotten overly rude (so far). But I mentioned that I was showing my colt in halter (for the experience, if he does well then that's just a bonus). Anyways, they were saying how he's small for a two year old, and he'd never win at halter. Which I agree he's small for a 2 year old halter horse as I'm not feeding him nor pushing him to reach a mature weight early (I do want to ride him after all and not founder him with excessive weight at an early age). But to say he'll "never" win? I find that kind of harsh, it depends on his competition and his conformation not to mention he might get more halter-y when he's older! lol I'm not doing big breed shows just the local AQHA shows so if he does do well (place) he'll get AQHA points. Anyways, are you guys part of any other forums? What do you like or dislike about the others? (:


I think on some forums they are just overly aggressive on the way they handle their critiques. I totally know that when you ask for a critique you are opening yourself up to some pretty harsh comments but sometimes I think people go overboard under the guise of being 'helpful'.

To say your 2 yr old is under sized for his age is fine, and that he'll not do well in MAJOR competiton because of it, at this time, is one thing but to say he'll NEVER do well is another, unless he has some glaring faults that they can see. And if he does, then you should be aware of them and they should spell out what they are.

I pretty much have a stock answer for ANYONE and ANY horse that wants to go out and show. Go out, have fun, bond with your horse and if you get some pretty ribbons or a cool prize along the line, take them home and display them with pride. Halter judging is pretty subjective at best, and your horse may be one judges ideal and totally not anothers. If he's perfect for you, then he's the perfect horse no matter what anyone else says.

missnashvilletime 03-20-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bridgertrot (Post 1416147)
I think they're just jealous of Chets sexiness.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hahaha I'm sure Chet would agree, he doesn't know he's to small, I'll tell him you said that lol (:

missnashvilletime 03-20-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 1416148)
I think on some forums they are just overly aggressive on the way they handle their critiques. I totally know that when you ask for a critique you are opening yourself up to some pretty harsh comments but sometimes I think people go overboard under the guise of being 'helpful'.

To say your 2 yr old is under sized for his age is fine, and that he'll not do well in MAJOR competiton because of it, at this time, is one thing but to say he'll NEVER do well is another, unless he has some glaring faults that they can see. And if he does, then you should be aware of them and they should spell out what they are.

I pretty much have a stock answer for ANYONE and ANY horse that wants to go out and show. Go out, have fun, bond with your horse and if you get some pretty ribbons or a cool prize along the line, take them home and display them with pride. Halter judging is pretty subjective at best, and your horse may be one judges ideal and totally not anothers. If he's perfect for you, then he's the perfect horse no matter what anyone else says.

I totally agree, and like I said I do agree with him being small for a 2 year old (he's only 14 hands) but to me; if that's where is growth is at this time...that's where it is lol.
If they had said "he'll never win because xxxx" then I don't think it would be as frustrating as saying "he'll never win" that doesn't even give me a reason lol.
I don't mind harsh critiques; as long as they actually give me something to work on or an idea on whats wrong. That's what critiques are for!
(:

kassierae 03-21-2012 07:18 AM

I frequent that forum as well. And i wholeheartedly agree with what each one of them said. He most likely wont win because his conformation is less than ideal, especially for halter. It is fantastic that you plan on getting him out, something i wish i had done with my gelding. I also completely agree with gelding him.

And i also think people get way too butthurt over what someone they dont even know says on the internet. Truth is, life isnt all butterflies and roses. People are going to give their honest opinion(especially FiSH). Just because its not what you(collective you) wanted to hear doesnt make it mean or insensitive. The truth hurts sometimes. Brush your shoulders off and get over it. Not to mention the posters there are extremely knowledgable(most, anyway) and do know what theyre talking about.
Posted via Mobile Device

BaileyJo 03-21-2012 11:18 AM

I believe that each forum has a different "feel" to it. This feel is intentional and doesn't just happen.

There is definitely a respectful way of posting feedback. And I don't believe that just because you asked for it, it's a free pass to unload every last snarky remark that can be thrown into one post. While it's true that asking for crititique or feedback does open up a certain level of criticism, how it is delivered is really an art and not everyone has the gift or ability to give it constructively.

I believe it takes a secure and courageous person to be able to ask for a critique and feedback out on public forums. I really do wish more people would do it as I think it is not only valuable to the poster but also to the members learning as well.

DraftXDressage 03-21-2012 12:09 PM

In fairness to the other forum, you put up a grand total of two very unflattering photos that were totally unsuitable for critique, so people pointed out what they could try to make out from the photos. I actually don't think anyone was particularly aggressive with you at all.

If you put up photos that make your horse appear ewe-necked, coarse-headed, and club-footed (whether or not he actually is any of those things), people will quite rightly tell you that he is unlikely to be successful at halter. And again, in fairness to those who offered critique, no one tried to discourage you from getting him out there for the experience.

Corporal 03-21-2012 12:27 PM

I dropped another horse forum bc everybody there was well educated in horses and had majored in Criticism. I've found ppl here to be very helpful. I particularly enjoy the "Like" key, just like FB has. If I agree but don't want to weigh down a thread by just repeating what has already been written well, I can click that and move on to another thread.
I also REALLY like it when everybody posts huge pictures of their horses. Keep THAT up!! =D


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0