The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   very new to English, just had my first show as an English rider (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/very-new-english-just-had-my-117047/)

ToLoveHorsesForever 03-20-2012 03:50 PM

very new to English, just had my first show as an English rider

4 Attachment(s)
alright, be as honest as possible! I want to know what needs fixing, if there's anything I need to be asking of the horse, is there things about my body that I need to adjust. Do I just look like a clueless person who just so happens to get really, really, really lucky?

Attachment 92056
Attachment 92054
Attachment 92053
Attachment 92052

PintoTess 03-20-2012 03:55 PM

First thing is that in the first one you are leaning forward way to much, shoulders back, heels down and chin up :) Cute horse!

DressageDreamer 03-20-2012 04:44 PM

Are you trying to do a 2-point (half seat) in the first picture?

Shropshirerosie 03-20-2012 05:52 PM

Beautiful horse. It's a bit difficult to tell from pictures taken during motion, as we don't know if they capture the 'best' or the 'worst' or the average. But, in response to your request -

I assume the first picture is in forward seat? If so, are you leaning on your horse's neck? If so, don't. :)

If it's not deliberately a forward seat, then don't lean forward so much, sit up, shoulders over hips at all stage in rising trot.

Try to rotate your pelvis so that you are sitting on your pelvis bones, pulling your tummy muscles towards your spine and using this core strength rather than strength in your arms and shoulders. If you look at the third picture you see your spine curved in, your tummy curved out and your pelvis rotated back. Try to do the opposite of all these - if you can!

Soften your hands and elbows.

Toes in, try to avoid the penguin feet look.

Oh, and in second picture. You need to smile more - this is supposed to be fun!

Lovely horse (did I say that already?)

mudpie 03-20-2012 11:28 PM

You're pinching with your knee. Find your support from stretching down through your heel instead. :)

tinyliny 03-20-2012 11:37 PM

other than the first picture, you look very good. First one looks like you are approaching a jump or something. way too far forward and leg too far back.

JSMidnight 03-21-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PintoTess (Post 1416276)
First thing is that in the first one you are leaning forward way to much, shoulders back, heels down and chin up :) Cute horse!

Couldn't say it any better.

ToLoveHorsesForever 03-21-2012 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DressageDreamer (Post 1416352)
Are you trying to do a 2-point (half seat) in the first picture?

Yes. This was while I was being judged and was asked by the announcer.

mildot 03-21-2012 08:13 AM

Third picture from the top down.

Notice how your stirrup leather is not vertical?

If you were applying a leg cue behind the girth, that's fine. If that's your normal position, not so much.

Adjust your position and stirrup length until your leathers are vertical when you are relaxed in the saddle.

tlkng1 03-21-2012 05:41 PM

The two point position is a tattle tale :) When you came out of the saddle your leg slid back which would have put you off balance due to your heel being up (or level) and your upper body being more forward which is probably why you are resting your hands on the horse's neck :)

In two point, bring your lower leg more forward so your foot is at the girth. Close your hip angle without moving forward. Think of pushing your horse away with your hands. THis will center you over the saddle and allow to really sinkj into your heel..it will also keep your leg from sliding back. Do lots and LOTS of two point at the trot :).

In the third picture you have my problem and as I hear constantly, close your fingers :) Just as with your two point, you need to bring your leg a little mnore forward..it has slid back here. Sink into your heel and that will help. To help stretch out that tendon, if it is stiff, stand in your irons and really sink down in your heel. I also keep this up by putting the ball of my foot on the edge of a stair and sink down.

It is hard to tell from the angle but your iron length looks good. Try this though. Take your foot out of the iron and relax your leg and foot. The bottom part of the iron should hit at the ankle bone.

In the third picture you have a good angle from elbow to wrist to horse's mouth..a nice straight line which is what you want, but, your hands are too low..you want them above the neck kind of like what you have in pic 2.

In pic two you have the old piano hands; I do it a lot too :)..thumbs up and picture yourself holding two ice cream cones. THis helps with keeping your thumbs up and closing your fingers on the reins. Believe it or not, the horse does feel a different and lighter feel when your thumbs are up, it isn't just for looks. When you turn your hands flat, it puts pressure on the mouth.

Shoulders back, or if you rather, open up your chest :) and yes...SMILE ..oh...and breathe. Always breathe :)

As others have said, cute horse...you are doing well. The corrections are minor :)