The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Critique HUS and Rider Please (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/critique-hus-rider-please-117096/)

CrystalKiwi 03-20-2012 08:49 PM

Critique HUS and Rider Please

This is Dino, a 5 yr old appendix quarter horse. This year we are upgrading from open shows to quarter horse shows, and any advice is appreciated! I know he is probably loping here, but he likes to zip around so were starting to work on flunctuating speed (: any critique is appreciated!

tinyliny 03-20-2012 09:13 PM

First off, you are really a very nicely matched pair! I think the judges will like you alot.
I dont' do HUS, so my point of view is more general as to what is basic good equitation. I think you post very nicely. Super nicely. your hands were the tiniest bit "busy" and I only noticed it because you had your wrists crooked . (I mean, that the wrist goes inward while your knuckles face outward), and your fingers are too open at times.
you have a very typical hand position with your hands low and far apart, and a mildly overstraight elbow. To me, (my opinion), this doesn't look good. I would put a bit more bend in my elbow, raise my hands a bit and for sure, bring them closer together.

I saw one point where you transitioned down to a walk and the horse raised his head and you "fiddled" his head back down again with your hands. If you had prepared him more with your seat and a core muscles, he might not have raised his head when transitioning down, and you would not feel the need to put his head back down.
So, "hands together puts horse together". Don't pull or fiddle his head down. Straight line elbow to mouth , no bend in the wrist. Look up and prepare him for each transition first with your seat, then with the rein.

CrystalKiwi 03-20-2012 09:19 PM

Still figuring out this site...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinyliny (Post 1416795)
First off, you are really a very nicely matched pair! I think the judges will like you alot.
I dont' do HUS, so my point of view is more general as to what is basic good equitation. I think you post very nicely. Super nicely. your hands were the tiniest bit "busy" and I only noticed it because you had your wrists crooked . (I mean, that the wrist goes inward while your knuckles face outward), and your fingers are too open at times.
you have a very typical hand position with your hands low and far apart, and a mildly overstraight elbow. To me, (my opinion), this doesn't look good. I would put a bit more bend in my elbow, raise my hands a bit and for sure, bring them closer together.

I saw one point where you transitioned down to a walk and the horse raised his head and you "fiddled" his head back down again with your hands. If you had prepared him more with your seat and a core muscles, he might not have raised his head when transitioning down, and you would not feel the need to put his head back down.
So, "hands together puts horse together". Don't pull or fiddle his head down. Straight line elbow to mouth , no bend in the wrist. Look up and prepare him for each transition first with your seat, then with the rein.

Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you! I've been riding him for a year and both of us have improved dramatically. He was in a kinberwicke but I got him down to a snaffle. And I think we're a great pair too :) I'd leased him for 6 months and bought him for my first horse! I will work on my hands, and I don't mind his head set he does it naturally, but I cued my transition earlier and he didn't listen, so I pushed him out and punished him a little, then you just go on like nothing happened. But I will try to prepare him more thanks :)

CLaPorte432 03-20-2012 09:26 PM

You two look really great together!

CrystalKiwi 03-20-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLaPorte432 (Post 1416819)
You two look really great together!

Thank you! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 03-20-2012 10:01 PM

Nice & steady, I like watching you two.

GoAppendix 03-21-2012 10:03 PM

First off, welcome to AQHA shows! What classes will you be showing in?

I think your horse is cute. The biggest thing right now is for both the trot and canter, really work on lengthening his stride but trying to slow those legs down. You can stay up in your post a bit longer to make him match you.

Also, have you considered a weighted fake tail?

CrystalKiwi 03-21-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoAppendix (Post 1418701)
First off, welcome to AQHA shows! What classes will you be showing in?

I think your horse is cute. The biggest thing right now is for both the trot and canter, really work on lengthening his stride but trying to slow those legs down. You can stay up in your post a bit longer to make him match you.

Also, have you considered a weighted fake tail?

Thank you! In very excited for this year. I will work on that. He is a wonderful horse but he gets a little excited, so ive been working on keeping him relaxed. And we were just schooling at home here, but I have a weighted 1" fake tail for him :)
Posted via Mobile Device

GoAppendix 03-21-2012 10:18 PM

Pound of hair or pound of weight?

CrystalKiwi 03-21-2012 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoAppendix (Post 1418724)
Pound of hair or pound of weight?

I believe it is a pound of hair, but in still trying to sell my .75lb fake tail so I can't get a new one until at least next year.
Posted via Mobile Device