The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Healthy, low cost, low sugar treats for horses (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/healthy-low-cost-low-sugar-treats-117111/)

BlondieHorseChic 03-20-2012 11:49 PM

Healthy, low cost, low sugar treats for horses

I hope this fits under the "horse talk"category, anyway,

Iv been giving my horse peppermints, apple oat treats, carrots, and apples as treats. Iv noticed that he gets a little hyper/has to much energy from the peppermints. The apple oat treats can get expensive. So iv been giving him carrots and apples as treats.
I know he doesn't care, but I feel bad for not having as wide a variety if treats, so I was wondering:
What is a healthy treat that I could give him?

Some people have said strawberries.....

waresbear 03-20-2012 11:50 PM

I buy a 50lb bag of horse crunch cookies. Lasts for years, and it was $25.

BlondieHorseChic 03-20-2012 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1417014)
I buy a 50lb bag of horse crunch cookies. Lasts for years, and it was $25.

Where did you get them from?

cakemom 03-20-2012 11:57 PM

Carrots and apples are good treats. Mine have a bad habit of getting a bite of whatever the kids have, but dearly love vanilla wafers, which I fought forever, but my 80 year old mother in law insists they can't live without them, so I let her.
Watermelon is awesome when in season also.
Posted via Mobile Device

DancingArabian 03-21-2012 12:11 AM

You can buy sugar free peppermints.

I'm also interested in hearing about the Horse Crunch treats!

cakemom 03-21-2012 12:26 AM

Not to be disrespectful but I'd rather see them have sugar than artificial sweeteners.
I get 25 lb bags of oat and apple treats for the barn by the way for like $15 from the feed store. Can not remember brand, but it's the crescent shaped ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

Country Woman 03-21-2012 12:47 AM

carrots, apples are low cost

Jumperforjoy 03-21-2012 03:20 AM

I also get the 50lb bag of horse crunch, it can be bought at the local feed stores, ask for horse crunchies and the worker should know what you mean. it usually lasts me a good six months, longer when I'm out less and shorter when I'm working extra horses :-)

Nothing wrong with apples and carrots though, only harder to keep and more expensive then crunchies, I get that feeling of wanting to give special treats so I keep the apple/carrots as a special treat and feed the crunchies the rest of the time :-)

Saranda 03-21-2012 04:10 AM

To my mind, apples, carrots and some vegetables (kohlrabi, turnips, rutabagas, parsley roots, beets, etc.) are the best and cheapest treats, especially, if you can trace how the vegetable has been grown and harvested. I usually keep a sliced carrot with me as a daily treat and everything else is "special".

~*~anebel~*~ 03-21-2012 01:31 PM

I feed carrots and if I need treats the only ones I will feed as most "horse crunch" is starch based, are the Manna Pro "bite-sized nuggets" horse treats. The ingredients are for the most part low starch and if memory serves there is very little added sugar.
Usually, I stick to carrots though. Or licorice because my horse loves it hahaha.
Posted via Mobile Device