The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Rider Wellness (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/)
-   -   Head injuries are no fun (http://www.horseforum.com/rider-wellness/head-injuries-no-fun-117132/)

Klassic Superstar 03-21-2012 01:44 AM

Head injuries are no fun

Got in a bad car accident on Monday morning, have a bad concussion and can't ride this week, may not next week. Can't work either. So I can't even see my pony :(

What do you do with head injuries?
Iv been sleeping alot in the day last night I had a hard time and kelt waking up.

I was in a four car pile up, my car got the first impact from a standstill, car hit me at like 40mph....car went to car heaven :(

Things I'm having trouble with:

Remembering the converatation if interupted for just a second, studering, thinking of certin words. Litteraly can't think at moments like that.
Headache going into the back of my eyes. Have to re foccusmy eyes and blink alot.
Sleeping all day but hard time at night, keep waking up more then once every hour.
Today I throwing up, didn't feel sick would just puke and still not feel sick, just the super dizzy feeling and shaky.

This sucks

PaintLover17 03-22-2012 03:52 PM

Did you go to the hospital and get a CT? I'm guessing your probably did but that is the single most important thing to do after a head injury. After that you pretty much just have to wait for it to heal. I had a concussion a year ago and I just sat on the couch for a week basically. Your symptoms are all very normal after a concussion. Hope you feel better soon!
Posted via Mobile Device

Corporal 03-22-2012 03:59 PM

Praying for you. You have a concussion, and NO RIDING for at least 6 weeks and probably 6 months or longer. PLEASE get that CT!
So sorry about your accident!!!!!

PaintLover17 03-22-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corporal (Post 1419708)
Praying for you. You have a concussion, and NO RIDING for at least 6 weeks and probably 6 months or longer. PLEASE get that CT!
So sorry about your accident!!!!!

You are usually allowed to ride after about a month. Any sooner and another head injury could cause permanent damage.
Posted via Mobile Device

tinyliny 03-22-2012 07:42 PM

Sam! I am so sorry to hear this. YOu poor girl. you have just had more than your share of bad luck lately. Maybe you can get a refund?

Take care and don't ride until you are super sure.

Ladytrails 03-22-2012 08:06 PM

If you are still groggy and throwing up, or extreme headaches, you must go to the ER and get a CT scan of your head - you could have bleeding inside your brain and that is definitely not good and definitely not something that you can just cowgirl up and grit through.

The memory and lack of mental focus is very common and it will take 2-3 weeks before you're better, possibly. My son had a concussion when he was in high school; it took him 2 weeks before he could consistently remember his locker combination and his class schedule without looking at his cheat sheet.

Again, go to the doctor/ER if you're still throwing up! Don't wait!

yadlim 03-23-2012 04:39 PM

Biofeedback - when I was young and stupid and would break anything to saddle, including bulls, I got dumped so many times that one doctor compared my skull x-ray to a freeway map of LA.

After years of painkillers, blackouts, and horrible migraines, my mother found a Dr who taught me how to relieve my bloodpressure, which is what was causing my symptoms, with biofeedback. Within six months I felt just fine and 30 years later you would never know that I have actualy fractured my skull three times.

For now, rest, keep the lights low, cold compresses will help on the back of your neck. Try to relax and think about feelign the pulse in your fingers. This will help pull the extra blood from your brain and back to your limbs - where it is supposed to be. When you feel a bit better, research and start mediatating (spelled wrong). It will help get rid of the black outs and headaches.

Accupuncture also does wonders - but for me it was more of a temporary fix. One session of accupuncture would help for like a week. We did it three times a week for a coupel years, but in the end it was the biofeedback that helped me the most.

~*~anebel~*~ 03-23-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klassic Superstar (Post 1417342)
Got in a bad car accident on Monday morning, have a bad concussion and can't ride this week, may not next week. Can't work either. So I can't even see my pony :(

What do you do with head injuries?
Iv been sleeping alot in the day last night I had a hard time and kelt waking up.

I was in a four car pile up, my car got the first impact from a standstill, car hit me at like 40mph....car went to car heaven :(

Things I'm having trouble with:

Remembering the converatation if interupted for just a second, studering, thinking of certin words. Litteraly can't think at moments like that.
Headache going into the back of my eyes. Have to re foccusmy eyes and blink alot.
Sleeping all day but hard time at night, keep waking up more then once every hour.
Today I throwing up, didn't feel sick would just puke and still not feel sick, just the super dizzy feeling and shaky.

This sucks

These are almost exactly my migrane symptoms, except I also get auras so bad I can't see, get a numb feeling in my fingers and face, and am extremely light sensitive. So I feel your pain girl!!! As long as you have had medical attention and there is not any brain swelling, etc.. then you just have to give your body and brain the time they need to heal. It sucks, I know. I usually get really bad migranes at least twice a year where I can be bed ridden for a week - you might have to be prepared for this, or other long term symptoms as well. I can recommend sunglasses, avoiding flourescent lighting, switching to a "whole food" diet (as much as is practical), avoiding your triggers and reducing stress, working out really helps for stress reduction.
Concussions, and other brain injuries are tough because they will affect you for the rest of your life. Also, now that you've had one, you are something like 30-50% more likely to get another.

Good luck!!! If you need to PM someone my inbox is open :)

equiniphile 03-23-2012 04:57 PM

Concussions are no fun....been there, done that! Mare slipped and fell to her knees at a gallop, I went over her head and landed on mine. Thank God I was wearing a helmet.

Hang in there!

RubieLee 03-24-2012 08:38 PM

My horse slipped out from under me and rolled over me. She squished me into gravel and asphalt. I had a concussion, a broken foot. They tried to fly me out because they were convinced I had a broken hip and possible neck. I was a long time healing. Two months later I rode again...and almost immediately fell for no reason and cracked my head on a rock. Another concussion. Now, 5 months later I have problems saying what I'm trying to say. It's in my head right but it comes out very wrong. I also have very thin skin on my knee. If I bump it I double over in pain. It's purple..not very attractive. Give it time, you'll heal. There will be a reminder of it for a while, maybe the rest of your life. It all varies person to person.