The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Horsey personality changes? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horsey-personality-changes-117177/)

furbabymum 03-21-2012 12:38 PM

Horsey personality changes?

I sold my mare about 3 weeks ago. My paso and her had been together for quite awhile. The mare was without a doubt dominate. I brought over the neighbors mare to keep my paso company for awhile. He is now the dominate horse. He's always been the puppy dog personality. Following me around and looking for loving. Lately he's been standing away from me. Running when I try to get near him. It's VERY out of character for him. I don't go out to just work him either. In fact he isn't getting worked all that often between the weather and my health. I go out every day to feed though. Usually give them a good rub after I throw dinner down.
Is this related to his change in status in the herd? Could it be something else? I'm rather discouraged.

furbabymum 03-21-2012 04:00 PM

No ideas?

poppy1356 03-21-2012 04:14 PM

Not sure but there's a horse at my barn that has turned into a real jerk and the only change is he is forcing his way up in the herd so it's a possibility.
Posted via Mobile Device

Country Woman 03-21-2012 04:16 PM

good be that your horse is the top horse now

furbabymum 03-21-2012 04:23 PM

How bad would it be if I just had him alone? He'd have horses on both sides to talk with and cows in the back but no pasture mate? I know they are herd animals which is why I have the neighbors mare over. I just don't want him turning into an *******.

poppy1356 03-21-2012 04:42 PM

I'd say groundwork. The gelding at my barn seems to be taking his new position to mean he needs to challenge everything including people. But if that doesn't work I am not sure maybe an aggressive mare? Good luck though.
Posted via Mobile Device

furbabymum 03-21-2012 04:46 PM

He did try running me over this weekend which surprised me. It was feeding time and I ended up picking up the trash can I'd carried the hay in and smacking him in the arse with it because he wasn't behaving at all well.
Here I thought I sold the problem horse....
This is obviously about my inadequacies now.
Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1418296)
I'd say groundwork. The gelding at my barn seems to be taking his new position to mean he needs to challenge everything including people. But if that doesn't work I am not sure maybe an aggressive mare? Good luck though.
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 03-21-2012 04:50 PM

Yeap he sounds just like this gelding. He got a pretty good bite on one of the boarders not his owner. He will chase people now so I'd fix this now before he gets worse
Posted via Mobile Device

furbabymum 03-21-2012 05:01 PM

Thanks! I will.

poppy1356 03-21-2012 08:11 PM

Good luck. I hope it all works out.
Posted via Mobile Device